Will the "poor" always be "poor?"

I read an article the other day (cant remember were but it was reputable) that a study was done were it basically said that know matter what the poor would always be poor. They could work their tails of (harder then most rich or middle class) but would never be out of their situation. What do you think? Is it their mind-set?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I do feel some is choice, but life does throw you a curve ball that's not your choice. How you handle it is. PA is a mess. I was thrown a curve ball. I have 4 kids. I wanted to go to college. I was told I have to work first. The government was paying someone to watch my kids $2200 a month. I wasn't even making that much working 60 hrs and going to college full time. To me that is stupid. I said pay me the $2200 to stay home and get a degree to better myself. The worker told me to talk to my state rep. It is very hard to get out but I feel it can be done. We have to show our kids it can be done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I believe it is completely mind-set. If you can't see yourself any other way how to you expect to get there.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like a pretty stupid article to me. You have the opportuniity to rise out of poverty if you soo chose. It has been done many many times.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:35 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Well, I was going to go with it, but no, I don't believe that.

I think that the current PA system helps keep them there.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:42 PM on May. 25, 2009

• It's very difficult.. I read a journal the other day here on cafemom that I commented on, because it spoke to me. It was about the "high cost of poverty" and that is SO true! I left a lengthy comment. Poor people actually pay more for the simple things..laundry, groceries, even paying bills.. poor people end up having to spend more money on these things for lack of a car, bank account, washer & dryer.. and that's just the tip of the iceburg. And we have been there! But, while we're not quite out yet, we're climbing out of the hole. It takes some determination, and in our case, some shit luck (SO got a really good job out of nowhere, and was promoted quickly), but it CAN be done if you're smart enough to plan ahead and sacrifice.

motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 10:42 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Only a very small percentage of the poor ever are able to get out of the cycle of poverty. I think that a lot of people are worried about their current situation and rightly so. The middle class is being devastated by the economy and many will find themselves reclassified as poor as the recession continues. The Government knows that the population of those who will continue receiving PA is going to be increased by the fact that so many companies have gone out of business and workforces have been reduced to levels where for some, they will never be called back. With more and more jobs leaving the U.S., there will never be enough jobs for everyone who will be looking for work when you consider the permanently unemployed, graduating college students, graduating high school students, retirees with destroyed pensions, troops returning from Iraq, etc.
    Anonymous

• I feel like more resources need to be put out there to help the lower class. It looks like Obama is trying to make college more affordable to those who are lower class which I think is great. It is very hard for those who are poor to better themselves when the tools needed to better themselves are unattainable (like a college education for example). Yes there are college scholarships and grants, but those are limited. Until more resources are available, then I would have to say yes the majority of those who are poor will always be poor

jm14879

Answer by jm14879 at 10:53 PM on May. 25, 2009

• If you are poor there is already help for you for college. You fill out the FAFSA and they give you grants or federal (very low interest loans you don't pay back till you are out of school) loans! You CAN do it people DO do it. I think PA does hurt, b/c as soon as you start to get ahead it, and all other help, is yanked out from under you. So many people prefer the security of gov't checks to the insecurity of the job market or going beyond the income bracket that will take away the help!! But is it impossible.....No.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:01 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I grew up very poor. My parents had 5 kids by 23 years old and we lived in a two bedroom home. Half the time we did not have electricity. All of our clothes were from the church and most of our food came from the church. My parents at about 25 years old decided they could change our living circumstances and did. My dad worked a ton of hours and we barely saw him for a couple years. He started his own construction company it was not easy he had to beg and borrow to do it. It paid off. He was a high school drop out who was told he was nothing his whole life. My dad and mom now are millionaires. Neither one finished high school they have a home in our hometown and one in Cabo. My siblings and I all finished college and we all live very great lives. My parents had a desire and will to change what they were doing to get out of poverty. If they had kept things the same we would still be there.
    Anonymous

• First of all, I am one of "the poor" and I can tell you this is way too complex a situation for a simple answer. First, it depends on how one winds up poor. Some make really bad decisions, such as alcohol or drug abuse that makes them unable to work until those issues have been dealt with. For some it is lack of education. For some it is sudden unexpected disability. For some it is a cycle, they grow up poor and don't know how to lift themselves up. Then there is the issue of individual drive and determination, and sometimes just luck.

So my answer is that it truly is an individual situation that varies that widely.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:57 PM on May. 25, 2009