how do you potty train a boy?

SINCONCEPCION

Asked by SINCONCEPCION at 11:03 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put cheerios in the toilet and tell him to "shoot the cereal" LOL (seriously though i have friends who have done that one with their boys)

Have him watch daddy go potty.

Boys can sit on a potty when they first learn and as they get older and are around cousins who are boys they will figure it out as far as standing up goes.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 11:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• So tough. I started at 3.5 years old and it was still a tad early. We hung a sticker chart in the bathroom and had a column for just sitting on the toilet, one for peeing and one for poop. He'd get a sticker for any action but now I think I'd skip the sitting part. Also, and this was key for us, we started both boys by sitting them on the toiled facing the tank (backwards) so they didn't pee everywhere and when it came time to poop, they'd turn around. Had a step stool to facilitate this. Also, placing them backwards makes for a much steadier sit on the toilet and easier to hold yourself on. Adding the extra baby toilet seat didn't work. Their little butts are too big or the hole is way too small to accomodate butt and penis spraying out. Gross but true. Using M and M's didn't work. Starting too early is a mess, and we had to wear pullups at night for ages.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:09 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I put together a bowl of candy, stickers, little plastic dinosaurs, etc. and told him everytime he went potty he could pick ONE! He loved this idea! Soon he figured out how to stretch one pee into about 50 pees LOL! I didn't see that coming, but I let him to do it, because I felt it would help with the control of his bodily functions.

Different things work with different kids. The PP have really good advice too! Just play around with a few of them and you will soon know which works best for you! Good luck, hang in there;)
    Anonymous

• i wish i could answer this but my son does not want to potty train i would love for him to be potty trained by the time his sister comes but the rate he is going its gonne be pull ups forever. there is this 3 day method one girl told me about where u dont let them wear and pants or underwear strictly comando so they have nothing to go potty in besides the tolit it didnt work for blake he peed and pooped on the floor, ur supposed to do this for 3 days and concentrate soly on potty training but for moms who work this is def not something easy to do, if i were a sahm then it would be easy but not everyone is lucky enough 4 that. the cheerio thing worked for peeing but not pooping. sometimes he will pee in the tolit but mostly in his pull ups he thinks of them as diapers. i let him pick out undies and tried that but he pooped in them and they were ruined, too much money 2 spend on something i am gonna throw away. good luck
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:42 AM on May. 26, 2009