Catholic church and birth control

I have a couple of question for Catholics out there. I know that the church teaches no artificial methods of birth control. So suppose a woman has a health condition that means she sould not have a child, such as a heart condition, would she then be allowed to use artificial b/c?
Second question, what is the churches position on permenent b/c, such as tubal or vasectomy?
I really am curious?

teamquinn

Asked by teamquinn at 11:14 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because the CC's teachings on ABC are based on the purpose of sex, if a woman has a medical condition that could put her life in danger if she were to get pregnant a devote Catholic shoul not use ABC or steralization. She does have the choice to either abstain or use NFP in a very strict sense. And scientific studies have show that NFP is as effective as the pill.  Modern medicine has a much better understanding of women's fertilities and the methods that can be used to predict it are quite accurate.  The couple does have to abstain when there is any possibility of fertility.  And frankly ABC and sterilization has failure rates too - so even ABC doesn't guarantee no pregnancy.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:09 AM on May. 26, 2009

• That's really just for die hard Catholics. Most Catholics these days do not pay any attention to that stuff. Really funny story: From a small town somewhere in Illinois. TRUE STORY. A retired Navy Officer became a Priest whom married my friends. He told them, that he totally understood and that he felt birth control was a total requirement!! Yes, a Catholic Priest.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:17 PM on May. 25, 2009

• The answer is that you do not use artificial birth control, for any reason. Tubal and vasectomies included.
    Anonymous

• NFP is very accurate now days.
    Anonymous

• "NFP is very accurate now days. "

Really? I know four families that have seven children each because of NFP...That sounds really accurate to me.
    Anonymous

• we did the NFP for 4 yrs and we had no problem.
    Anonymous

• Yes, really anon :21. I dont really belive 4 families had 7 children using NFP consistently.

Modern Natural Family Planning (NFP) is safe, healthy, 99% effective in avoiding pregnancy, useful in achieving pregnancy, marriage building, reversible, moral, and cheap. You can accurately gauge your fertility as it happens through easily observable signs and choose to increase or greatly decrease your fertility while getting to know your body better. This Primer is an introduction to the different methods of NFP, and compares them to contraceptives and abortifacients. This is part of our much larger website, The NFP Files , which has more articles and links to NFP resources for further information.
    Anonymous

• There are 4 different families that are stupid enough to use the same method that didn't work 4 times? LOL
    Anonymous

• Please don't turn this into a debate about NFP. I would like for each of you devout Catholics to ask your parish priest about this question. I'd like to hear what they say.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:33 PM on May. 25, 2009

• So suppose a woman has a health condition that means she sould not have a child, such as a heart condition, would she then be allowed to use artificial b/c? Yes I am on BC for medical reasons, I use NFP as well because the pill causes abortions.

Second question, what is the churches position on permenent b/c, such as tubal or vasectomy?Just as bad and so are condoms, diaphrams ect.

Anonymous