puppy needs to stop nipping

We have a 4 month old golden retriever puppy. he is great, such a love. just wants to be with people and other dogs and be patted and play fetch etc etc. Problem is he now outweighs our toddler and doesn't know his own weight so he frequently knocks her over. in addition to this he bites (doesn't break skin but it's getting old). we've tried saying no and replacing with a toy, but he still does it. we've tried holding his tongue down and that doesn't do it. At first he would get combative with us after we tried to "discipline" him. Everyone says he'll outgrow it but I'm afraid of my toddler starting to get scared of him. Any other suggestions? Will obedience classes help this too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Pets

• My puppy used to do this too. She did eventually outgrow it. They are usually just soo excited when they are puppies and that's how puppies play. They nip. Just smack her nose LIGHTLY whenever she nips. That's what we did for our dog and she learned pretty quick to stop nipping. Its funny cause she quit nipping my sisters and my mom and I but she still to this day (13 years later) nips my dad. It's like she knows he's bigger and stronger and can take it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:26 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Oops I meant HE/HIS
    Ash9724

• A product called Bitter Apple. you spray your clothes or hand and they take a few little nips and stay away.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:26 PM on May. 25, 2009

• my golden ret was the same way..he grew outta it!! all i did was flick his nose everytime i saw it happen..he never hurt my daughter, but, to me, that wasnt the point..i didnt want him to think it was at all ok..and he stopped shortly after i started the flicking, along with a firm NO BITING!! hes a year and half now and hes never bitten anyone..although, i have tought him "little bites" which is when he like nibbles on ya..like when hes itchy on his paw how he does lil bites to itch it..he can do that to us too..its so cute!!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:30 PM on May. 25, 2009