When you see a military person, do you thank them for their service? At least on Memorial Day?

I actually do and have taught my children to do the same thing. I think keeping our country safe is worth acknowledging. But I have family that did two tours in Vietnam and the Saudi war. My neighbor is a WWII vet and met Patton.

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 11:49 PM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm a Vet, my dh and my brother are Active Duty. I have 2 uncles, a former step father, a grandfather, and a father in law that are also Vets.

And every day, I thank those that came and served before us, because without those brave men and women (and the families that stood behind them), there wouldn't be a country left for my family to defend.

I especially thank the families of those who paid the ultimate price for our country and are not alive to be thanked themselves.

(Side note for anyone who might not know, if you ever see someone with a pin or flag with a red border, a white middle, and a gold star in it, those people really deserve our gratitude, that means they've lost an immediate family member. A blue star means they have one serving. One star for each family member.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:02 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Not just on memorial or veterans day. My father and my fil are both Korean war veterans and I know 3 who are currently serving in Afghanistan or Iraq.  Wheater you agree with the war, veterans are still heroes as are their families.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:53 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I do every single day... My hubby is a Marine and I tell ya it makes his day everytime someone says thanks to him.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 11:56 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I do whenever I see one. This has been with me since I was 12 yrs old and my Dad was wearing a WWII US navy retired hat and someone did him. I thought it was really great and have since.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:58 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I have a few times but definitely not as often as I should. I don't come across too many soldiers where I live though. My dad does it all the time though. He travels a lot for work and sees them in airports and such and he ALWAYS thanks them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:58 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I use to until one started yelling at me just for talking to him.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Some of these b*tches don't thank nothing or nobody! They like to talk chit about ones who do. They call them silly, silly! Or, I forgot my meds. Hmmm...makes me wonder what kinda military life she lives....you know who you are. Did you just "step" into a the moment? LOSER?
    Anonymous

• Wow anon "06 what has gotten into you.

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 12:10 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Tis called a "nobody." It's all good, no worries. I resent some who come here to answer and debate...and, look like fools! The ones who can't put aside their differences for one day..they have to defend their judgmental, hypocritical, one-sided stance. Y'all lol know who you are. Disgusting!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on May. 26, 2009

• We recently went to DC and at the one memorial there was a group of WW11 vets there. Our group was invited to participate in the ceramony. There was not a dry eye in our group. My 13 year old son was thrilled to meet these men. It will be memory that will last a life time.

There was also a group of our kids that got off our tour bus and seen a group of WW11 vets at the mall we were going into. They ran up to the vets and thanked them for their service. These grown men cried and was honored beyond words that our 13-14 year olds kids would do this. They had their picture taken with the vets.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:19 AM on May. 26, 2009