Advice for getting newborn (3wks) to sleep in bassinet!?

Everysince the first night we brought our son home, ive been sleeping on the couch with him! Hes got to be touching me in order to sleep good. During the day he will sleep alone on the couch or even in his bassinet for a little while but it seems when its bed time hes having no part in it! Luckly we have a sectional, because my husband has converted to the couch aswell so we can atleast sleep in the same room! Help please! Ready for my bed!!

EthansMommy5

Asked by EthansMommy5 at 12:03 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could you try weening him out of it? Like sleep with the bassinet next to the bed or couch and keep your hand on his belly or have his fingers curl around one of yours. MY daughter didnt have this problem so I'm only giving you a guess, so i hope this can work or some other moms have better ideas!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:11 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Thanks! When we tried in our room it was right next to our bed, but it seems like he will get startled and his arms will shoot out then he realizes hes alone and starts fussin and kickin till he gets out. I dont understand why he sleeps alone fine during the day, mabey hes just rotten =)
    Im trying to ween him from it! Thanks for your help!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 12:31 AM on May. 26, 2009

• put him in it if you have to put him down for any reason (going to the bathroom etc) no he won't like it but it is for short periods of time.. once he realized that you'll come back for him he may be more comfortable with it.. babies don't understand that you exist when they arent touching you or looking at you. It freaks them out a bit. He'll get used to in a couple weeks :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:29 AM on May. 26, 2009

• blake hated his bassinett i had to swadle him and that would sometimes work but most of the time i would end up in the lazy boy chair sleeping b/c he wanted the contact. i know they say to let them cry but when u r beyond tired u will do anything to get some sleep. try some extra blanckets under him those things r cardboard and swaddle him tight. good luck,
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• The same thing happened with me. Slept on the couch the first few months. Then put the bassinet next to my bed, swaddled him and had to keep my hand in the bassinet touching him. It got better within a few weeks. But he did stay in my room next to the bed until about 5 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I had the reverse issue with my baby, and realised that she just needs more cuddles during the day to be happy at night. So now I wear her for all naps during the day and at night she sleeps for 11 hours in her bassinet. I found it really important to have a good night time routine. We spend the entire time in dim lighting, then she has a bath and massage and nurses. Then I swaddle her tightly and place her in her bed and sometimes massage her head or rock the cot. It works for us. Some really useful websites are www.picknicksbrain.com and www.elizabethpantley.com. I used these all the time and they changed my parenting style totally for the better
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 6:36 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Have u tried one of those baby positioners? It has sides on it so it feels like someone is holding or swaddling him. Our daughter used this for months and we never had problems. I forget what they're called,sorry!
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 9:01 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I had the same problem with my 9 week old on. We bought him a regular pack and Play with bassinet. And he idnt want anything to do with it at all. So I tried the vibrating bouncy seat, and he would fall right to sleep in it. So we went back to the store and bought a pack and play that vibrated and plays music, and now he sleeps for about 2 hrs and eats.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 11:30 AM on May. 26, 2009