How long after standing on his/her own did it take before your baby started walking?

My almost 10 month old is just beginning to stand on his own!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm sorry to say that my dd started standing (like just would get up in the middle of the room and stand there!) at 9 mos. She didn't walk until 16 1/2 mos. which is really, really late! The pediatrician said not to worry, she'd do it on her own time. I guess he was right. My ds was 15 mos when he started standing and walking on his own. It all just started happening really fast and altogether. He talked liked that too. He was about 2 1/2 and just started spitting out sentences. He really never had a "first word."
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:58 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Don't worry. my baby 13 months and running thru the house now but at 1 year she was not walking just holding on to things and standing,it happens and then the next thing you know wow look out,, now is a good time to start really baby zoning your house, plugsinn covers, move the cleaners an glass stuff out of reach and watch out for the bath room door, my little one will runn at the bath tub and try to flipp herself in she love water... good luck and all babies do things at there own speeds
    itmomnotmeaw

Answer by itmomnotmeaw at 1:28 AM on May. 26, 2009

• DD started cruising at 5 months and started standing 8 months and walking at 9. She was just born with great muscles. I remember her being only a couple weeks old and the doctors were so impressed by her muscle tone.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:45 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My DD started crawling, pulling to standing, and standing alone at 7 months.
    She started walking right at 10 months.

Every baby is different though!! Keep that in mind.
    prettylilrae

Answer by prettylilrae at 2:16 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Congratulations!
    Is he standing without holding onto anything and then falling?
    Be sure there are safe things for him to hold onto as he begins to learn to walk as he stands. Most babies like to hold onto the couch or coffee table. Then watch him walk away from holding onto anything on his own! Babies do this at different rates on their own.
    Once he starts to do that, you might want to get him a sturdy push toy so he can keep practicing his walking skills while using something to keep steadying himself and still be able to go further around the house.
    This is an exciting time for you and him!
    Time to do some more baby safety around the home, though.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:19 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Several months. My last child started pulling up on the furniture and cruising at 8 months and took her 1st step just before turning 10 months. But didn't actually start walking until the week before she turned 1. It was about the same for all my children, just at different ages.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:30 AM on May. 26, 2009