Refusing to brush her teeth

DD used to love brushing her teeth but now is falt out refusing I'm sure it's just b/c she has so many teeth coming in right now her gums have been so swollen her ears are getting air pressure built up . I don't want to do damage to the teeth she already has by just not letting her brush until her teeth are all the way in but I don't want to have to physically force her to brush her teeth which to be honest if she's fighting me I'm prbly not getting them very clean anyways she used to do it herself with a little help from me so does anyone have any experince with this? SHould I just offer her, her toothbrush but not push it or what? Thanks for any help

79BEACHNANA

Asked by 79BEACHNANA at 12:58 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Since you know the cause is temporary, i'd let it slide for a few days.
    Offer her her toothbrush and let her brush. That keeps her in the habit.
    I'd also mentally divide her mouth into quadrants and do your best to brush one of them at each brushing. That way each tooth will get a decent cleaning every day or so.

I hope they come in quick for both of you!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:07 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Here are some things I do with my daughter: let her brush my teeth while I brush hers, use flossing as a reward for brushing (I use floss picks on the teeth that are touching), or let her sit on the counter as a reward. I always start brushing with just water, and when I am done brushing, I allow her to brush with the toddler toothpaste, so that she is looking forward to her turn to brush. Recently she has started liking laying down while I brush her teeth, which actually works better for me. We also look in the mirror after we are all done and I talk about how beautiful and strong her teeth are, just like a princess. Just be creative with your daughter! :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 1:46 AM on May. 26, 2009

• i usually have to hold mackenzie down to brush her teeth too. i usually just give her the toothbrush and let her brush around and chew on it....then try to get one good brushing in a day
    vdewes

Answer by vdewes at 8:55 PM on May. 26, 2009