baby food question for every mom to answer

my son is 5 months old and we will be starting him on solids in the near future... what are good foods for babies to eat and what do i need to avoid?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 1:03 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried my lil girl on every baby food made......and she will only eat sweet potatoes.....kinda disappointing....but thats my picky lil eater. lol. GL
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 1:06 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Stay away from fruits in the beginning, even though that is what he is most likely to eat willingly. Get started with veggies right off of the bat...carrots are a good one, so are sweet potatoes, peas, and green beans. After you are sure he likes the veggies, then start with some fruits. You don't want him to get used to the sweets and then reject the veggies later on.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:09 AM on May. 26, 2009

• my son loved all the baby foods, everything he ate he liked. he eats like his dad ;) he liked sweet potatoes alot.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:12 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Anything they make for the Stage 1 baby food jars are fine, and you can even make your own. plus baby cereals are good to start with...usually rice or oatmeal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Start out with an infant rice cereal mixed with breastmilk or formula.. make watery. this gets them used to a different texture and different swallowing reflex... only do a tablespoon per serving at a time.. they will gag the first few times (they aren't choking.. though it sometimes looks like it) once they get used to it (may take a couple weeks) add in some stage 1 applesause (IMO it is easiest on the tummy) once they get used to it add on 1 new baby food every week. Good luck :)
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:26 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Didn't do jars. Mashed banana or avocado is a great first food. From there, peas, green beans, all varieties of potato...we just mashed whatever we were eating.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 AM on May. 26, 2009

• We tried rice first then the other cereals one at a time. I had one who could only eat rice, and two who could only eat oatmeal (gas).

We ran through all the single ingredient in stage 2 jars first. It's more cost effective. Just give 1/2 jar per meal at first. Once we were through all the single ingredients, we started on the combinations and introducing table foods.

We didn't do it in any particular order. With the first I did vegetables first then fruit, the second was alternating a vegetable and a fruit, the third was alphabetical order. lol

There is no need for babyfoods, just so you know. It's perfectly fine to just do table foods mashed up. I, personally, just found it easier to do the trying of foods with babyfoods.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:08 AM on May. 26, 2009

• With my oldest we started with fruits. He had bananas and pears first and then moved onto sweet potatoes and squash. He ate everything but the green veggies willingly. We started the youngest on veggies first and just loves food. He has eaten everything we have given him well (peas, bananas, sweet potato).
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:03 AM on May. 26, 2009

• We always made our baby food and didn't do the rice cereal. We started with banana, avocado and sweet potato. After that green beans and other veggies and fruits. At a later age we gave him oatmeal and mixed grains as cereal.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:17 AM on May. 26, 2009