Autisum, could my 2 year old have it?

Could my 2 year old have autisum? He has speech delay, but other than that I don't see autisum. My family keeps telling me to get him tested. I'm getting him into speech therapy this summer, but is that really enough? If my son needs extra help I want to give it to him. What are something I can look for in knowing if he could possibly have autisum?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's Autism, not autisum.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

There's a link to a good site with information for you to read.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:22 AM on May. 26, 2009

• He should: Does he make eye contact? Does he play with other children? Does he play with toys the way most children do? Does he point at things he wants or try to communicate at all in other ways? Does he respond to his name?
    He shouldnt do: Does he have random tantrums for unknown reasons? Is he a very picky eater (more picky then normal)? Does he repeat the things you say (called echoing)? Does he seem sensitive to light, sound, or touch?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:28 AM on May. 26, 2009

• At age 2 a lot of unusual seeming behavior is still in the realm of normal. My daughter barely talked she was just a quiet child. Turns out she has inattentive ADD and she was off in her little lala land but there's no way we could have known then.

If speech delay is his only 'symptom' it's unlikely but hey, ask the doctor next time you're in.
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 1:39 AM on May. 26, 2009

• There is a WIDE range of symptoms on the autism spectrum. Get a professional evaluation if anything on that Autism Speaks website seems familiar to you.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:24 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Early intervention is always best. Get him tested and find out for sure.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:27 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Go to www.CureAutismNow.org, they have great info and checklists of things you should be looking for. Also its Autism, not autisum.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 8:45 AM on May. 26, 2009

• You know, my son has apraxia of speech and was in speech therapy when he was two. My husband's family saw that damned episode of Oprah about autism and were convinced he had it. They actually almost had me convinced too and I was so worried. His speech therapist had the OT evaluate him and she saw no signs of autism. I also had his doctor suggest a specialist so I could have him evaluated again because I wanted to be sure. In my case, he did not. I always think it's a good idea to make sure and have him evaluated early a speech problem alone (which you said is your only concern with your child) does not mean he's autistic.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 10:14 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I am sorry to inform your family, but at 2 describe delayed speach. Most 2 yr olds say a few words, then more, then start putting words together. Where is the delay. If he says the A's, Mamma, Dadda. baba, if he smiles at you, or looks when he is called, then don't worry. If he has a blank expression, does not look you in the eye or smile ask your ped. Don't borrow trouble. Autism is the "in condition" we are becoming aware of more and more cases, there are many spectrums of the condition. So naturally more and more parents are aware of it and are worried. I say discuss his speach with your doc and go from there.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Thanks for everyones help!

feministmama: My family does the samething. Personally I don't see it. Plus he's been seeing the same doctor since birth, I'd think he would've noticed something by now in he's evaluation sheets they do every well-baby checkup.

Salexander: I do realize speech delay does not mean autism. Like I told feminstmama my family has me worried, because everyone tells me he needs to get checked-out. I'm not sure what you meant by "Don't borrow trouble". But I'm going to take that as you think this an attention getter. And really it's not, it's a mother being concerned about her son.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on May. 27, 2009