does anyone have this....

My son is 17 months and when he gets mad he will hit u or if u don't give him what he wants he will pinch u...I don't know what to do anymore, its really bad...

camerons_mom07

Asked by camerons_mom07 at 1:23 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try putting his hands down when he does it and telling him "NO. We don't hit (or pinch), hitting hurts." He'll get it eventually. Is he talking much? If not you might want to teach him some basic sign language, which would most likely alleviate the behaviors IF it is a communication problem.  He may be mad because he's unable to tell you what he wants.

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 1:25 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree with aurorabunny about the sign language. He could be frustrated if his language is delayed a little. My daughters learned more, eat, drink, cookie, shoes to give them a way to communicate. I also agree with gently putting his hands down and telling him NO, and while you have his hands down also say, "Mommy likes nice easy touches." You take his hands and show him how you want him to touch. Always praise him loud and proud when you see him using nice touches.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:30 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 18 months and does the same thing. She understands sign language and can sign some signs like eat, drink, bath, sleep, more, help, dog/cat... etc. When she first started pinching me (which also came with biting) I did it back to her and she hasn't done it since. As far as hitting, I tell her she's frustrated and try guess what is going through her mind. Usually when I get it she signs back or cries more. But I tried holding her hands down months ago to stop hitting so now I gently tap her arm and when she cries I tell her "it hurts! Do not hit! You don't like it, mama doesn't like it!" Now she pats me on the head and gives me kisses and I tell her thank you and give her more attention and love when she's "nice to mama".
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:12 AM on May. 26, 2009