I want to start a business but I do not have any college degrees as of yet. Is it neccesary to have a degree prior to starting your own business?

For as long as I can remember, I have had a desire to own my own business. I know that it won't be easy but I always have all of these ideas for a business going through my mind and I have settled on one that I really love. The only type of business education that I have though is Marketing classes that I took while I was in high school. I don't yet have a college degree. I figure that this is probably why I feel so overwhelmed everytime I think about actually trying to jump into this. Have you or anyone that you know ever started a business and what are some pointers that you can share as far as where to start and what type of degree I should be seeking prior to getting started? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry, I meant to type *necessary*, not *neccesary*. -OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on May. 26, 2009

• No, you don't need a degree. You DO need a good idea, determination and a solid business plan. All of these can be had without a degree.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:22 AM on May. 26, 2009

• You definitely do not need a college degree. Some of the most famous entreprenours are college dropouts.
    You do need a solid business plan. You can write this yourself; there are software packages that can help you, but the best help that you will get is from SCORE. Once you have your business plan together, you can contact the SBA; they will help you get your business off the ground, identify funding sources, make sure that you have all of the legal and financial documents and processes correct.
    Feel free to contact me with questions; I have a lot of experience helping startups get organized.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on May. 26, 2009

• A dream, a plan and a little bit of money is all you need to get started with any business! Determination, discipline and patience is what you need to make and keep it successful!

Good luck!

mkcosmeticsgirl

Answer by mkcosmeticsgirl at 9:13 AM on May. 26, 2009

• You can do it! No degree is necessary.

Definitely get a solid business plan. You need to have it all thought out. Good luck!
    justkima

Answer by justkima at 10:10 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Just like the PP's said, you don't need a degree. My husband is 30 years old and has started countless businesses (ok,maybe just 5 or something like that, lol!). He actually just started college for the first time in January, and he is going for a business management/entrepreneur type of degree, but he has never had any problems starting businesses without a degree. He's actually working on another business right now! Just have a good business plan, and figure out what type of financing you need, that's important!
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 10:33 AM on May. 26, 2009

• No, you don't need a degree! I started a business at home and I am a mom of 2! I have a desire to start this business, get it going, goals of income that I want and to be able to live how I want to live! If you want more information about this business that you can start to, you can go to www.beingunited.com or call me at 219-923-2039! Would love to help
    Rebecca325

Answer by Rebecca325 at 10:55 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Nope. I have 3 businesses... NO Degree... I never did the "higher education" thing. I just see no point. I would be more than happy to tell you about my businesses. I'm with Ameriplan, FreebieForce and TeaPoria. All are awesome. But I think Freebie Force is by far my fav!!

Check them out:
    FreebieForce - www.FreebieForce.com/SabrinaMBowen Take the Free Tour and get all the details!
    It's low cost and easy to do!

TeaPoria - www.BriesTeas.info Free opportunity! Great products!

Ameriplan - www.DailyPayFromHome.com Get all the details by calling 616-712-1741 then visit my site and request your interview.

ttys - let me know if you have questions!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

• It is a good idea to take a small business class, I learned so much from that and you will be a lot more successful!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Heck no! All you really need to do is apply for a license and that's just paying a fee to the state.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:59 PM on May. 26, 2009