My 16 month old keeps hitting our dog

My 16 month old daughter won't stop hitting our dog. I have tried telling her no or to stop, I have tried putting her in time out, and I have spanked her but on the diaper not hard enough to hurt her. I just don't know what to do. She understands she's not suppose to do it, but does it anyway. One time for christmas a friend got her a plastic bat and ball and she would go and hit him with it. I put it up and she still gets it and does it again I am trying to keep it for when she's older. I put it in her closet in the hallway she gets it. I have tried looking for locks for sliding doors and haven't found them. I have put it in the bedroom closet, but when I go in there she goes and gets it. What can I do to get her to stop hitting him

Angelgurl20

Asked by Angelgurl20 at 1:32 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Pets

• have u explained to her that it hurts the doggy? there's dvd's out there to help u with getting baby and dog to get along. what about one of those hook locks?
    tashathejoo

Answer by tashathejoo at 1:54 AM on May. 26, 2009

• she is so little what can you really do? kids dont fully develope empathy til 2 so she is basically just going to do it to get a reaction from people. I m=ams orry but its not fair to your poor dog. Rehome him...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on May. 26, 2009

• if you put the bat and ball up and she still got it down? seems there are some issues with parenting here as well or a difficult child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2009

• This is a parenting issue. I hate to break it to you, if that dog was an infant your toddler would be hitting it with a bat and you would not be doing anything to protect it either. Maybe put your kid on a leash?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 26, 2009