weight gain

I'm 23, have a baby girl and I can't seem to gain any weight. I eat healthy meals, snacks in between, I have a bowl of ice cream just before bed and everything!!! I can't seem to gain any weight! I was 115 and now I'm 108 which is WAY to light for being 5'6". I need to gain quite a few pounds... any ideas of gaining weight while remaining healthy? And no, I do not work out cuz I figured it would be easier to gain if I didn't... any ideas?

07lilmama1108

Asked by 07lilmama1108 at 1:34 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I know most people would make some rude comment about how lucky you are. I am not one of them. My 15 year old son is you exact size (ht/wt) and I know how unhealthy he looks and feels. I have not found the key yet, but wish you luck.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 1:41 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Ice cream may not be the best solution. There are healthier ways to gain weight. Eat an avocado every day; they are loaded with healthy fats and good carbs. Eat lots of beans (calcium and iron) and rice. Be liberal with olive oil and flax oil. Full fat yogurt (the real kind, with live cultures and without gelatin) with granola or some other cereal, and some banana would be great (especially Greek yogurt). You can also ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist (doctors don't actually know anything about nutrition).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Has your doctor ruled out medical reasons for your low weight?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on May. 26, 2009

• sometimes doing weights will make u put on good weight
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Do some resistance training. 12-15 reps. Still do some cardio but do not over do it. Up your carb intake just a little with whole grains. Keep sugar down always. Also up your protein, even if it means getting a big jug of whey protein. (protein powder has come a long way. It tastes good.) No exercise at all is never a good option. If you smoke or drink a lot of coffee it will supress your appetite so stay away if you can. Your central nervous system will thank you anyway.
    Miss_Holly83

Answer by Miss_Holly83 at 12:36 AM on May. 28, 2009