I am exclusive bf my baby, he is 9 months and he is now 20 % in weigth, i worry that he is not getting enough milk from me, How I now that?, He is not very good with his food either

In heigth he is 80%,

sami7jami8

Asked by sami7jami8 at 2:46 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did he start out at those percentages or has he dropped off? My girls were very small at birth so their percentages were very low, but they stayed consistant and even gained a little.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:05 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Percentile charts are useless for breastfed babies because they are based on FORMULA babies. Ignore the percentiles.

Are you nursing before solids? That's rule one all the way to the first birthday. He WILL get enough if you follow this rule.

Is he wetting and making milestones? Those two markers are far more important than weight.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:50 AM on May. 26, 2009

• There are specific breastfed baby charts and pediatricians should be using the correct one. Percentiles are merely used to track growth, to make sure the baby is following a curve so if there is a dramatic drop or increase the pediatrician knows to investigate. They are NOT useless.

Is he still acting hungry after nursing? Is her refusing baby food or table food? What does his pediatrician say?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 AM on May. 26, 2009

• The WHO has some good charts for BREASTFED babies. The ones that most docs use are biased towards formula fed babes and around 6-12 months is when you see the biggest difference between the two. That being said being in the 20% is not bad, but dropping is. My son was born at about 15% for weight and 90% for height and my doc told me he wanted him somewhere between 5-25% and 80-100% at each visit. He dropped to 1% at one point so the doc had us come back in 2 weeks and he was back up to 10%. My daughter was born at about 45% weight and 55% height and has hovered there since birth too.

Check to make sure he is getting enough wet diapers (4-5 a day for his age) and nurse BEFORE feeding him solid food. Make sure you are getting enough water and nurse whenever he wants to including at night.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I ran out of room. COntinued. Make sure he is fully draining the breast before switiching sides as the last milk (hind milk) is fattier and will help him gain better.

Breastfed babies gain faster at first and then slow down and at 1 year are usually a little lighter then their formula fed counterparts.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:23 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Dropping percentiles isn't necessarily bad either. Some babies are born bigger than their stature will have them be. My daughter was always above the 50th and then dropped to the 20th at her 6 month appointment, and I was worried the doc would be concerned and would say something about my breastfeeding, but he just said, she's doing great! He explained that lots of babies drop around that age and it's normal.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• If a doctor isn't using the appropriate chart, you need to say something or find a new doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on May. 26, 2009