two questions about 16 month old

1. My son is always chewing his food up and then spits it out and repeats why is this? I try to ignore it he still does it.
2. He went from saying clearly about 60+ words and associated the words with its subject, but all of a sudden everything is blablablabied bla...like he is making the words all one word and rolling it till no tomorrow. Sort of concerning. Should I be concerned?

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:38 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anytime there is regression, there is cause to see the dr. My 3 yr old has always had speech issues but his doctor said that he was a very late bloomer and hes also the youngest of 4, so hes likely to just be behind on a lot of things. He wasnt really concerned with his speech, or lack thereof, but he did say that as long as he is progressing, then hes fine. If he ever stops progression or regresses, then you need to have him evaluated. So I think if I were you, I would go ahead and make an appt to have him looked at. It will ease your mind and also if there is a problem you can take care of it early. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:32 AM on May. 26, 2009

• You don't say if your son goes to day care but I can say for my son - he picks up everything they do there. So if one kid thinks it is funny then you have a room full of little ones going to town on the same deal.
    60+ words - wow that is great but again if he gets habits from other kids he will do them until he doesn't find it worth his time.
    lucky2bemom

Answer by lucky2bemom at 10:34 AM on May. 26, 2009

• 60 words wow! My daughter is 14 mos and says about 6 words. I have heard that anytime they regress...that they are usually working on mastering another skill. So maybe he is learning something else right now. See your doc if you are worried though. momma knows best.
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 11:53 AM on May. 26, 2009