Does the cervix dilate faster if its soft?

Last Thursday I was told i was 50% effaced and my cervix was very soft.

So does this mean if i was to walk, or have sex my cervix would dilate faster or easier, even to like 1 cm?

or does it not effect anything?

CamiiiCompasion

Asked by CamiiiCompasion at 5:01 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• does not do anything unless your body is ready
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:55 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Actually sex might help. The prostaglandins in semen help to soften the cervix in order for it to dilate. Also, sex helps to release the hormone oxytocin which can kickstart contractions (and thus, help to dilate).
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 7:36 AM on May. 26, 2009

• She's right about the sex. I was 50% and dilated a fingertip at 35weeks. At 36wks I was 70% and still only a finger tip same at 37wks. I'm 38wks now and hope it's gotten farther along by the time I go to the doctors. I it's diffrent with each woman and with each preg
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 9:03 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Google evening primrose oil, i did yesterday and it says it helps and there is nothing bad about it.
    Anonymous

• try taking Evening Primrose Oil 1,000mg orally (once a day with food) and have sex (the semen will soften and thin out your cervix and if you hit an orgasm then that could start contractions and walk a lot...but, don't over do it.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:26 PM on May. 26, 2009