Is prayer a form of worship?

This question is for Evangelicals, Catholics, Lutherans, Jews, and Muslims (and any other Abrahamic faith--sorry if I missed you):

Do you believe that prayer is a form of worship, why or why not?

For the pagans/wiccans (with or without atheistic tendencies): Do you believe that spells are the same as prayers? If you have atheistic tendencies and you do believe that they are the same, whom are you offering them to?

Please identify your religion in your answer so that it's easier to follow.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised a catholic, so prayer was always a part of my life. As I had gotten older I've chosen not to be religious and believe in anything that I was raised to believe. However, I still pray, actually everyday. I don't feel or believe it to be form of worship. I feel it to be more of a spiritual release, and something purely out of habit since childhood. I don't know if that really answers your question, but I tried anyways lol.
    lynmarie813

Answer by lynmarie813 at 7:31 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Yes, of course it is. We approach God's throne of Grace, giving Him thanks for what He does for us,and the good things He gives us,and for answering all our prayers. It's also a form of communicating with God,and talking with Him, sharing our hearts with Him,and praying for what's on our hearts and minds.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:19 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I am muslim. Yes prayer is a form of worship. It is the first thing we are commanded to do after testifying to his being worthy of worship.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 8:54 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I believe that prayer is a form or worship. Anything we do that glorifies God is worship. When you pray, you are talking to God. And getting to know Him. If you want to hear from God, you have to know His voice and tak to Him. If you love someone, you talk to them. You would not know your husband or your friends if you didn't talk to them.
    Mykidsmaid

Answer by Mykidsmaid at 8:54 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Sure it is God hears your prays an want you to have that time in his presents.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I believe so, yes.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:57 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I am agnostic (half baked atheist...LOL)...but anyway...I think prayer is a form of worship. I still feel like praying every so often. Just to put my love into words for those I care about. I pray for the health, happiness, and safety of my friends and family. Do I think anyone is listening? No not really but I still do it. For me it is just an acknowledgment of my love. My hopes, dreams and feelings are in my prayers. Though I guess it isn't "technically" a prayer but more of a statement. Like a journal or memo to myself...putting my feelings in to words.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 12:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Also an Agnostic here (but more of a half-baked theist..LOL)...I pray all the time. I usually speak to "god" when I do it, but not the vision/version of god that is strictly Xtian. When I put a prayer out into the world, its with the hope that My Creator (if I have one) will hear it and maybe can help me out in some way. If so, then cool. If not, or there is no Creator, then at least I got it off my chest and feel better anyway.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 1:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Prayers and spells are the EXACT same thing.

They are both trying to direct divine energy to a specific goal. 

I don't necessarily see it as a form of "worship" per se..."worship" is honoring the god/dess(s), prayer/spells is beseaching Them for help.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:19 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Prayers are not spells! Prayer is having a conversation with God. When we pray for other people we are interceding for them. Prayers are nowhere near spells. Prayers are to God. Spells are from Satan. Two completely different things!!!!!!!!
    Mykidsmaid

Answer by Mykidsmaid at 3:43 PM on May. 26, 2009