Cat problem

I have 2 cats- one is pooping outside the litter box- which started like 6 months ago and has gotten to every day now. She is really fat and maybe she over eats, but i have to leave the food out cause the other cat needs to eat , they are kept in the finnished basement cause i have a baby now. I clean the litter box every night. Help- i dont have time for this- what can i do besides getting rid of cat? I have tried moving the box over alittle to where she is pooping and she still ignores the box and goes on the floor next to the box.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Pets

• My cat started pooping on the floor once I brought my son home from the hospital. I just put him outside, and we have all been much happier since- including the cat. Not sure if that is an option for you...
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 7:49 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Ours did that to protest our new kitten being fed (kitten food) in the closed bathroom. Every time I put the kitten in the bathroom to eat, the older cat "went" on the kitchen rug, even when the older cat had his food right there in the kitchen. I gave up and just let them both eat the same food at the same- the older cat never did that again. We don't let our cats out at all- too easy for them to be run over or killed by a fox or hawk, not to mention the worms, ticks and fleas. They are better off as inside only cats. I suspect that you are experiencing the cat objecting to the change. If he is going the same place every time, you can try putting a litter box there or newspaper, something to make cleanup easier, or let them have their usual routine, perhaps.

Answer by Bmat at 8:38 AM on May. 26, 2009

• If you have a cat that's overweight and still need to feed the other one, you should probably seperate them for feedings. Don't just let the overweight cat binge.

Have you switched litter brands in the past few months? Have your cat been to the vet to rule out infection or parasites? These things can cause a cat to "go" outside of their pan.

I have a male cat that will sometimes pee outside of his box but RIGHT next to it. I bought those puppy training pads and put them underneath the box. They're large enough that the pad sticks out all the way around...that way if he goes outside the pan, he pees on the pad and not on the basement floor.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:09 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Make sure it is very clean like when you first pour litter in there Cats are very finicky.

Maybe she notices something in or near the box that she does not like. GL

Do you use the clay kitty litter that one works wonders I use to get the regular kitty litter but found myself changing it too often or not often enough so I switched over to Scoop Away and/or Arm and Hammer all you have to do it take out the poop and change the litter when ever it needs it you can actually scoop out the urine too. It bulks up when they pee. It is really neat. Hope this helps GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I dont see why you can not feed them at certain times during the day. The others have good advise. Why do you hav eto keep them down stairs becasue you had a baby??
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:18 PM on May. 26, 2009