When are people going to finally stop judging others paretning skills based on age and realize that you can be a good mother at any age?

this goes for older and younger.. im so sick of people assuming young moms are immature and cant take care of their children and that older moms are selfish for having kdis so late in life. we are all moms cant we untie on that grounds and put age behind us?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:45 AM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree, but I don't expect anything to change anytime soon.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:05 AM on May. 26, 2009

• When hell freezes over. Seriously, there will always be one person who has to judge based upon age or looks.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:07 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Quite honestly, I think "good moms" are those who can INDEPENDENTLY provide for their child or children. They do not need their parents (grandparents) to take care of them ALL of the time, they do not live with their parents, and they are not on public assistance!

Your choice to get pregnant and have a child, means you need to figure out a way to provide for that child...be it MARRYING the child's father (hey, you picked him), finding a way to complete your education, and establish some sort of stable job/career, find your own place to live (whether you buy, rent or live with friends/roommates), and scrimp and save going without a cell phone, cable, and expensive clothes so that your child has what he/she/they need!

THAT is what makes a good mom/parent. And this is true for ANY age mom! Temporary/short-term assistance is a different story, I'm talking about it being a way of life, with no plan to move out/on with life!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 26, 2009

• i agree 100% with anon! i hate how there are sooo many young moms getting assistance cause they messed up... and then they make no attempt to change and just live off the system the entire time their child is a child.. its such a waste of our tax money to support the whole childs life cause the mother and father were stupid.. short term assistance is different as well i totally agree.. like 3 months get urself on ur feet and work towards ur goal great! but if u can afford a kid and NOT have to go w/o food and stuff for urself then yes i think ur ready for a child till then no
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:18 AM on May. 26, 2009

• When are we going to stop caring about what strangers think about us?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree with Anon 8:11 completely! I think ANY mom at ANY age that has a child and can not afford to take care of that child is immature and very selfish. They have a choice to not have sex and yet, they go ahead and do it and then get pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Well heres where that comes from. Most of the moms that talk about having baby daddy drama, being on assistance, living with mom or grandma, custody issues with father, boyfriend problems, mil problems, ect are the moms who are 25 and younger. NOT saying that those of us who were that age at some point didnt have those issues too, but the older moms have already been there, done that and have learned from it, so while its NO reason to judge, its just not where we are anymore. We cant relate. I simply cannot give advice about having CPS called on you, deciding if youre going to leave your babys father that youre not married to because he sits around and plays xbox all day, living with your mother and grandmother and they are getting on your nerves, what to do about keeping your babys daddy away from your child because hes unstable, ect.....I am not being mean, but I am being honest. This is why younger moms are looked at badly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:55 AM on May. 26, 2009

• BUT I do know some great moms who do not have these issues that are very young. I think that it all goes back to stereotyping and majority issues too. Agree with previous poster....who cares what strangers think about you.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:57 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I was 16 when got pregnant w/my 1st, got married (Still married to the same man!). He was 18, in the army. That was in 1978! We did it, but it was HARD as hell! We struggled, but we survived. I had my 2nd DD at the age of 21 ( We knew more then). And the 2nd one was alot easier on us... We did know more.
    TOO young - 16 to 20--- I say yes. You can do it, you may be a good mom & dad, but looking back- we were too young.
    TOO old: Well, I am now 47. I would NOT have any more children. I hate to hear of the "Stars" having more in their 40's. BUT - I do not consider the 40's to be too old. If they have the "energy" up through their 50's - I think it is okay....... TOO OLD - I wld have to say 60's!
    Reason; What does the child have to look forward to.?
    I like the 40's - I like to spoil the g-kids, not raise them.
    BUT it will never stop, their is always an opinion. I heard the same when we had our first!
    gr-mom2

Answer by gr-mom2 at 8:59 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Never.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 9:36 AM on May. 26, 2009