Do you ever have to read your child the same book over and over?

My son LOVES HOP ON POP! Im ready to hide it for a few days lol

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:46 AM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes I do. I have actually thrown it away once & ended up having to buy the book again.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:52 AM on May. 26, 2009

• This is part of parenting. You can shake things up a bit; he probably has sections memorized, so stop in mid sentence, put your finger on the next word, and have him say it. You can also use books to teach the alphabet, colors, counting, etc. Be creative (it will take longer to read the book, too). Tell him that every time you read it, he has to "draw" his favorite scene, or act it out with stuffed animals. One book can turn into so much more!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:06 AM on May. 26, 2009

• YES! We read Good Night Moon every night until my oldest could read the book. We recently got rid of the book and my now 11 year old cried.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 8:48 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Brown bear, brown bear...what do you see?

ALL THE TIME!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:13 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Oh definitely. :) There are days when it's like Argh, but over all, I try to just grin and bear it, this too shall pass. :)

At the moment, both girls like to hear Snoozers by Sandra Boynton and the baby is all about the book Peek a Who? (not sure of author)

When she was littler my oldest just loved Mooo Baaa la La La By Sandra Boynton, it's a very fun book. :)
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:46 AM on May. 26, 2009

• "A Mother bird sat on her egg, the egg jumped, it jumped and jumped and jumped. Out came the baby bird!" "My baby will be hungry, he will want to eat, I must go and find food for it, so away she went" I swear I have read "Are you my Mother?" by P.D. Eastman a million times!

"Big A little a, what begins with A?" "Aunt Annies alegator A A A those Dr. Sues books kill me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I have read that it's actually really good for them to read the same story over and over again. Kids are like that with most things though. They like what they know. You'll end up watching the same movie over and over, you'll serve the same foods again and again, play the same games, make the same jokes, see the same people, it goes on and on! The just thrive on predictability and routine. My son is too young to have a favorite story right now, but I can't wait to find out what it will be!

With my nephew (he lived with us when he was a baby) I could recite "Good Night Moon" to him with the lights off in the middle of the night to calm him down. I had read it so many times over that I knew the whole book by heart!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:55 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Yup its Do you like green eggs and ham. We read it every night and after wards he always watched the Grinch who stole christmas
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:20 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Dr Seuss is quite popular! I can almost recite The Cat in the Hat without even opening the book. We have to read it every night!
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:26 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My son can read at a 4th grade level but still likes for me to read to him. He is only 6 years old and still loves his story time. We have to read Cars, Trucks and Things That Go by Richard Scarrey everynight. He can read it and even corrects me if I skip over something or say something incorrectly when tired. He loves that book. I have been reading it to him since he was a newborn. It can be annoying but after he hears the book he rolls over and can fall asleep. It is the least I can do as a mom for him. I will read it until he stops asking. I hope that is a long time from now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on May. 26, 2009