What is considered a young mom.. what is considered an old mom?

Just curiuos.. no bashing either age group please.. just want to see waht people think

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:47 AM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would say ayoung mom is younger than 20 and an old mom is more than 40. I didn't have kids until I was 30 so no one say 30 is old!!!! Lol!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:57 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I became a mom at 35. At the time, we lived in a neighborhood witth mostly young, yuppy parents, and I felt old. I was the oldest mom at preschool, too. When my daughter started school, I met more parents my age, and now (nearly 14 years later) I have a wonderful group of mom-friends with kids my age and parents our age.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:00 AM on May. 26, 2009

• A young mom can be any age. It really depends on how they feel. This also goes for a old mom. She can be any age, it all depends on how she feels.

Take me for example. I am 25 & feel like I am a old mom, but to others I may be considered a young mom.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 8:04 AM on May. 26, 2009

• In general, women who had children before the age of 25 are young and those that have children after the age of 35 are old. That is what I have noticed in one of my groups. I mean those seem to be the general guidelines. However, I personally think having children before 25 is normal and I would never have a child after 30 but I also had my first at 18.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:07 AM on May. 26, 2009

• well i had my first at 24 and feel old lol some days i feel young so idk !
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 8:14 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Younger mom (at time of birth) is 22 or less..older mom (at time of birth) is 35 and up. My opinion only.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:45 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I also notice differences in my kids age groups. My oldest is almost 15 and I am one of the youngest mothers amongst her friends parents. With my second who is 11, I am about the same age as her friends parents. With my 7 yr old, I am usually about 1-2 yrs older and sometimes the same age if they have older kids and with my youngest who is 3, I am usually 4-5 yrs older.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:48 AM on May. 26, 2009

• According to my Ob/Gyn, a woman who is 35 and pregnant is considered of "Advanced Maternal Age". I had my son when I was 41 but do not consider myself an "OLD" mom.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 8:56 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Yup, 35 and older is considered advanced maternal age. I had one at 19, one at 24, one 27, and then one at 39 and one at 40. So I was considered both. I however beleive it is all in your mentality. If you are young but responsible, can have your education, pay your own way and be a good parent then who cares. As for the old part, well again all in your head. I may be considered old, but I keep up with two boys 13 months apart. I sleep good at night though lol they wear me out. I try to keep a youthful outlook because with my boys, I will be around parents who are way younger than I am. My kids should not have old people for parents so I will keep up, be involved just like I was for the other three.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:43 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I think a young mom is one who is less than 25 - simply because of college and career. I think an older mom is one who has babies after age 40, but I also see nothing wrong with that. I hope to be one some day (right now I am 36 with 3 kids so far). My grandmother had my dad at age 44 and he is the best of all her kids (no, I'm not biased, lol!) - he has the most education, the best career, the happiest home life and is the best looking too (lol!). Older moms are usually more patient, more settled in a stable home life, and have life experiences that help them be a better parent. Nothing against younger parents, my parents were 20 and 24 when I was born, but I'm glad I waited until 28 to start having kids.
    hfs1998

Answer by hfs1998 at 9:51 AM on May. 26, 2009