I think my son is eating too much?

Ok my son is 9 weeks old. He drinks 5oz. formula bottles every 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs . But If I give him at 60z bottle, he will only eat 5 ozs. Is this too much for him? What should I do?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 8:16 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should let him eat what he wants at that age. He sounds pretty normal to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My pediatrician told me that it's nearly impossible to overfeed a baby, so you're probably okay. Call your doctor if you aren't sure though!
    snb216

Answer by snb216 at 8:27 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Our daughter was born at 8 lbs 13 oz and left at an even 9 lbs. She ate 7 oz after she was born and came home eating 5-6 at a time every 3-4 hours. He sounds normal to me. if he is hungry feed him if not he will get fussy causing stomach issues. He will let you know when he is done and if you notice a lot of vomiting then you know he is eating to much or eating to quick so slow him down. He sounds perfectly normal to me.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:51 AM on May. 26, 2009

• He should be eating as much as he wants, as often as he wants.

At 6 weeks, mine were taking 8oz every 2-3 hours. You have a light-weight eater compared to mine! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:04 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Some babies just eat more than others. My son blew away all the guidelines for how many ounces he would eat, sometimes taking almost two bottles. He's five now, as thin as a rail, but very, very tall for his age. He still eats like a teenager. One day for lunch he ate four hot dogs (no buns). I was amazed, but he just seems to be hell-bent on vertical expansion! :)
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 11:14 AM on May. 26, 2009