Is organic reeeeally that much better?

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 8:46 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Health

• It tastes funny in my opinion and for the price I would rather grow my own.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:49 AM on May. 26, 2009

• yes it reeeeeeeeeally is so much better....
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:18 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I think it just means that it was grown without any chemicals, which is better for our bodies. I'm trying to figure out why it costs more though.....you'd think since they didn't use pesticides it would cost less?
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:20 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Here! We can all learn!!!! My friend just sent me this link: http://www.organicfoodee.com/sense/tooexpensive/
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:26 AM on May. 26, 2009

• It depends on what you are buying. In general, conventional produce is grown to be high yield and have a long shelf life; organic produce is grown to taste good. You can do your own research and decided whether or not you want to feed your family pesticides and genetically modified foods (also know as GMO). The Environmental Working Group has a lot of great information on pesticides and other additives. They also publish a guide to produce and maintain a database of bodycare products so you can learn more about what you are putting on your body and your childrens body. The main website is www.ewg.org
    Read many sources, covering all sides of the arguments before you decide what is best for you and your family.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:25 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Organic means that the food was grown without unnatural chemicals or pesticides. These pesticides contain high levels of forms of estrogens which are used to prevent the bugs from reproducing. Usually these produce have also been radiated to slow ripening till they reach market.. . all of which alters the chemical nature of the food and then put's chemicals into your body. Meat, eggs and other things are pumped with these hormones and antibiotics to plump up the animals aster and produce more. . . quicker. And the effects make your hormone levels become messed up. . . i.e. . . gaining weight, miscarriages, hormones deficiencies or excesses, mood swings etc. So it is better to eat organic food. However they are not necessarily going to have more nutrients. But you will avoid toxins.
    1heart1mind

Answer by 1heart1mind at 5:52 PM on May. 26, 2009