So many books is it really neccessary????

Okay so my almost four year old has so many toys that it's not even funny. They are falling off the shelf onto the floor or they seem to sprout feet and are littered around the house, so I am wondering what can I do with them, or is it okay to down size and donate some of them to other people who may be able to use them or better yet sell them so my four year old can earn his own money? The same goes with toys, what do you keep and what do you donate?

angeljosh

Asked by angeljosh at 8:57 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should sit down and look at each toy and book. If its worn out, tore up, broken or not age appropriate then decide if its junk, donations or selling material. If its a good toy that could be useful to someone else sell it, if its slightly worn or beaten up then donate it and if its broke junk it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:01 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I donated or offered to neighbors or the church when we started having a toy and book excess. After I did that I divided books and toys that we kept into a few trash bags and stored all but one bag of toys in the attic. About every three months I'd exchange one of the bags for the toys I'd saved back. This way the toys were always new. When I was dividing toys and books up to give away, I saved most toys from family members, toys that were unusual or especially educational, Toys that were so neat that I couldn't bear to part with them- such as those Tonka Trucks with parts that moved- books that the child or I particularly enjoyed. I gave away toys he'd grown out of or never had an interest in, books that I didn't particularly enjoy.

Answer by Bmat at 9:08 AM on May. 26, 2009

• As they outgrow their books, we sort them out and donate them to the preschool where my sons attend. (it's a not-for-profit preschool and they put them to very good use)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:24 AM on May. 26, 2009

• You have to do this for your own sanity. Theres no way a child can keep all they toys they get for birthdays and christmas. I used to keep everything and then it got to the point where we had 4 kids getting toys for bday and christmas. Toys were overrunning our home. Now we try to weed out once a year. Its just a must. I look through them and keep what I know he plays with and give away the others. First to someone who I know wants them, such as a family member and then goodwill. We are getting ready to do that now.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Absolutely. Let him help decide what to get rid of. Instead of buying more, take him to the library and get him his own card. You can talke out books and DVDs; most libraries have story hours and other activities for preschoolers; in Chicago, libraries have family museum passes available

Answer by rkoloms at 1:32 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Our first born accumulated alot and we did donate some, but I wanted to keep them around for the second kid too. We invested in storage containers. I began letting her have 5 toys out at a time (a group of barbies would be 1, a shape sorter would be 1, her doll would be 1 but the crib would be 1 as well).

Now that we're done with kids, I need to go through those storage containers (SIX OF THEM!) and start donating.

At Birthday and Christmas time, I would also make her donate one toy she received to the poor.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• About every 6 months, before xmas and birthdays here, I go through the toys with the kids help. Anything they have outgrown or no longer play with is put into a pile and we organize the rest. We then sort the pile into garbage (broken) and donate piles. The kids help me take them to the Salvation Army and while they don't understand at first, my 4 year old is starting to understand more of why we do this. We are done having kids now, but with the first some of the things go kept until the second one used them and I stored those in the attic.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:21 PM on May. 26, 2009