When is the best time to start potty training?

lovelytwinsmom

Asked by lovelytwinsmom at 9:21 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Personally, I think between about 18 and 28 months. A lot of people disagree and think you should wait until your child wakes up dry in the morning or comes up to you and says in plain English, "I'm a big boy now, I want to use the potty" (sometimes at 4 years old). My daughter trained beautifully at 19 months without stress and without showing many of the "readiness signs." We just got rid of the diapers and she adapted. It eliminates a lot of the psychological issues (fear of the toilet, etc) and the major power struggles that come with training later. But all kids are different, so go with your gut.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:32 AM on May. 26, 2009

• There is no right age. As the previous mom suggested, you should look for signs. AND, it is very personal. Some parents don't mind being secluded at home for over a week to work on the potty training constantly. Some don't mind having to scrub the carpets and hand wash undies because of accidents. I'm certainly not one of those parents. I have other battles to fight than the potty one. Luckily for us, we don't have to potty train our 3-year-old because of the cost of diapers, we can still afford them until he is ready, but not everybody is that lucky. My kid pooped and peed on the potty, but when I suggests he needs to do it all the time in the potty, he says "no, in the diaper". Can you only imagine what kind of power struggle I would have with him. It would be "who is the most stubborn", and I don't have the energy for it... so I just let it be... Hope this helped a little and good luck
    sauterelledesil

Answer by sauterelledesil at 10:01 AM on May. 26, 2009