How did you stop your kids from using pacifiers?

My girls are now 13 months old with a couple of teeth each. They would cry and scream whenever I remove their pacifiers, which helps them go to sleep. Do you think its time for them to give it up? And how?

lovelytwinsmom

Asked by lovelytwinsmom at 9:24 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I only gave my boys their pacifiers for the first month... after that I didnt care for it so I threw them in the trash..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 26, 2009

• When my children were babies, Dr. Spock recommended giving babies the pacifier as much as they'd take it for the first three months and then they'd spit it out and not want it again, and it worked for both of my children. My granddaughter still used one when she was age three- I don't know if Dr.Spock's advice wasn't in use or what. I'm inclined to think that for 1 year olds that it may be too soon to take the pacifiers away if the babies still want them. Especially if you can get them down to using them only when they go to bed.

Answer by Bmat at 9:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My oldest had his until 13 months when we just took it away. After a couple of days it was all over and the third night he went right to sleep without a peep.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:57 AM on May. 26, 2009

• At one year we just hid it one day and pretended it didn't exist. Her mind is a steal trap, but she'd only ask for it if she saw it. She would look for it once in a while, but I made damn sure she never laid her eyes on it again. We really didn't have any problems.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 5:11 PM on May. 26, 2009

• With my son I just simply cut the end of the nipple part of the pacifier off and gave it back to him. Once he felt it wasn't on there anymore he threw it away himself (and I threw the others away). With my daughter (who would ONLY take the ones from the hospital, which you can buy now) I did the exact same thing, but she didn't care. So, one day she "mysteriously" lost her binkie and after a day or two she was off of it. She cried the first couple of nites at bedtime, but she got over it. Try cutting the nipple end off..its really does work.
    sbrast35

Answer by sbrast35 at 11:57 PM on May. 26, 2009