Pregnant and Nursing....calories???

I found out this past weekend that I am pregnant with baby #2! My 13 month old son is still nursing and neither he nor I are ready for him to wean (he did wean himself from night feedings but still nurses anywhere between 2-8 times per day).
How many calories should I be consuming to support both? Also, how much water should I be drinking?
For those who have nursed while pregnant, any other tips or advice would be appreciated :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dont listen, you and both babies will be fine with extended nursing. I tried it with my daughter (she was 13 months when I got pregnant again too) but she self weaned by 15 months, her pedi, and my OB both said it was probably because the taste of my milk changed with being pregnant again, so be prepared for that to happen as well. As far as calories go, I didnt really pay attention to that much, Dr's always told me that baby would get what he/she needs before I did and if I had energy and felt fine then rest assured that the baby was too, so as longf as you have energy and are feeling good I wouldnt worry to much. And rule for my on water was 1, 8 oz glass for every hour that I was awake, OB told me that when I was nursing after I found out I was pregnant, so I would aim for that but of course just drink anytime you are thirsty too. There are some really good books about extended nursing, tandem nursing, and nursing when
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 26, 2009

• i hate to be mean, but you probably shouldn't be breastfeeding after 12 months. you should stay him off on regular milk or soild foods.
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2009

• pregnant on Amazon.com, fairly cheap too, you might benifit from looking into it. It also helps to have a really understanding OB and pediatrician on your side, sadly not all of them have the same views on this type of thing, and sorry to say but notr every Dr knows best. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 26, 2009