Do you think this is child abuse? When a child weighs 24 lbs and is only 4 months old?

Thats how much my son weighs at 14 months! If there is nothing wrong health wise.. the baby is just over fed.

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 10:05 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be neglect... they think everytime the baby cries it's easier to give them a bottle rather then pick them up and find out whats wrong
    mommy2b17MV

Answer by mommy2b17MV at 10:07 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I don't know about child abuse, but there is definitely some parenting issues there. Some babies are just bigger than others. But if for sure it is just a case of over-feeding, then the doctor needs to step in and say something/do something. The parents are putting that child on very hard road with lots of issues if they don't stop now.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 10:08 AM on May. 26, 2009

• That depends on the weight of the kid when they were first born. I know my husband was over 10 pounds the day he was born. So it all depends alothough mommy2b is also right its alot eaiser to give a baby a bottle to shut them up rather then deal with the problem.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:17 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Before you scream child abuse, do you know if there is any medical condition with the child? It is easy to blame parents and pass judgments but I am sure that the pediatrician is the only one in conjunction with the parents who are qualified to make an educated guess as what is going on with that child. We all can speculate and formulate opinions but there are medical reasons why a child could be packing in pounds like that. I think if you are sincerely concerned, you can bring it to the parents attention and hopefully they will feel it is your business enough to share with you what is going on with the child.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:18 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I would think medical issue before i think child abuse..its not easy to overfeed such a young child. Also some kids are just big, it could even out when the child becomes mobile.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:00 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Thats very judgmental to say. There are really big babies that are just big. Usually its something they outgrow when they begin walking. If the child is making all his/her well check ups then its the drs call as to if they are being overfed and to instruct the mom on when to feed what. My daughter was over 20 at 6 mos old and she was exclusively breastfed until 4 1/2 mos. She was just my bigger baby. I did nothing different with my 3rd and he was a bit smaller and with my 4th, he was a lot smaller because of his general metabolism. Two of my kids were very thin and two of them were BIG babies. I changed nothing. That word "child abuse" needs to be stricken from the vocabulary unless we are talking about beating a child, locking them in rooms, burning them with cigarettes, not feeding them for days....you know REAL child abuse.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:21 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Most of the babies in our family (my sisters and I and all our children) were born on the small side of normal, 6 1/2 - 7 lbs, and they all tripled their weight before 9 months, but then their growth leveled out and the other kids their age caught up. None of them are fat as adults (the ones who are grown). It's just the way they happen to grow. 24 lbs may be a bit on the larger than healthy side, but it's not your child, so I'd suggest you don't stress on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Depends, if he's EBF then no. If he's FF them there's something wrong. Also, how big was he when he was born?
    Anonymous

• NO some babies are just big my son was like that and now he is 5 years old and 4 ft 7
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:43 PM on May. 26, 2009