question about MIL?

let me start by saying my MIL is very very religious. she is an evangelical prophet or something like that. (she says shes a prophet). Shes very in your face about her beliefs. I am a Christian but I am nothing like she is, I feel my relationship with the Lord should be my own business, not anyone elses. Ok so now that you know a little bit about my MIL onto my question. My husband and I are taking our twin girls to Disney World for their 7th Birthday. They are so excited. I've been online buying books and just trying to plan everything out so they have a great time. Well the other day my MIL came over to visit and she saw all of the Disney Books and informs me that we've bcome obcessed with "the devils playland" (lol it took everything I had not to laugh). Then she saw that my girls had mickey stuffed animals (we had been to the Disney store). I had bought them some stuff for the trip. Well she then looks at my

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know you havent finished this question, but I think that your MIL, though has good intentions, is a bit misguided. The enemy cannot have anything more than youre willing to give him. I think that theres a bit of legalism going on there and shes going a bit overboard. If you were worshipping mickey mouse, then maybe, but I think that shes over the top. Just respectfully let her know that you will pray about it and if the Lord convicts you then youll deal with it. I always say that about things to my parents. I got my nose pierced and they had a fit. I told them that I would pray about it and if God told me to take it out, then I would...he hasnt yet...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:13 AM on May. 26, 2009

• girls and begins to lay hands on them telling them the devil is inside of them. (by this time I'm fuming) my husband comes downstairs b/c our girls are screaming. I tell him whats been going on and he opens the front door and tells her to leave. my one daughter Abby locked herself in the bathroom for almost an hour. I had to convince her that what grandma said was not true. my poor kids are terrified!! I don't know what to do? i told my husband she is not welcome in our home ever again. I am so LIVID. So I am wondering what I should do about this situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on May. 26, 2009

• How in the world did your husband turn out normal?! Lol, I'm sorry, that whole story sounds like a scene from a movie. You tell that woman that her beliefs are just that: hers, and they are not welcome in your home. Tell her you believe differently and that she needs to calm down around your children. I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:21 AM on May. 26, 2009

• First of all, let me start out by saying that I am a Christian.

What I would do? Is keep her away from your children until the adults can talk this situation out. What she did was strange and scarey and you cannot let her impact your children psychologically and emotionally like that.

While I understand there are "mediums" and people who are "clairevoyant" I do not believe that God chooses to speak to us through prophecy any longer. Although I've known many people who did in fact think they were Evangelical Prophets, I've NEVER seen or heard any of them behave in this way. It may have to do more with her personality and who she THINKS she is than it does with her religion. I'm not saying this to offend you or your DH but to warn you that when you speak to her about it, her strong personality MAY be a huge road block causing you to get nowhere despite and valid information you present to her from the Bible.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2009

• (cont.) Seeing as she already feels she has this high spiritual position and influence , she's most likely not going to take any of your biblical interpretations seriously. You may need a pastor to accompany you when you talk to her. Maybe talk to her pastor first and if he/she can agree to help you.

Even if you can't get her to agree with, remember, YOUR HOME, YOUR KIDS. Until she can agree to follow the rules of your home, she can't come see the kids. It sounds mean but it is unnacceptable for a child to be so terrified that they lock themselves in the bathroom door. She didn't just damn Disney, she made your kids feel like THEY were evil and dirty too. I don't care what branch of Christianity you are; that's WRONG.

I feel for you. I've had issues with close family members with strong personalities too. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:43 AM on May. 26, 2009

• UGH! IKWYM! My MIL can be very off the wall at times. First, you are going to have to let your MIL in your home again. I am not saying it will be anytime soon, but eventually you will want to make mends with your family and husband's mom. Before she is allowed in your house there should be some very clear ground rules about driving evil spirits out of your children. (LOL) My MIL also believes Disney is the work of the devil. There are all kinds of people in this world.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I think you all did the right thing by getting her out of the house before more damage was done to the girls.
    Im with you...she wouldnt be invited back into my home EVER again.
    As for the girls, hopefully this didnt squash their desire for the trip and they will have a blast!! If they have concerns you should just be honest and tell them grandma has a different belief system then we do and is a bit extreme. She loves you and wants the best but is wrong in how she did it. What she said isnt true because XXX(fill in your beliefs here).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:51 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Honestly.... I mean, I understand she's family & all... but I would not let that woman around my children and more. Period.

It's not beause of religion, but my children have NO relationship at all with their paternal grandfather. He saw my oldest boy when he was about 2 (he's nearly 11 now) & has never laid eyes on our other 3 kids.

Sometimes it's just for the best.

If your family is close with her, try talking to her about respect & boundaries first, of course. Maybe see if you can get her pastor involved (unless he's the same way lol) -- he may be someone she's more inclined to listen to.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:04 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I would simply tell your MIL the same thing I told my mother. "YOU ARE NOT THEIR MOTHER!! It's not your place to "educate" them about religion or in any way try to influence them in that way. Your views are your views and not mine. If you don't like it you don't need to have any contact with your grandchildren. Only I say what my children need to be taught about religion - NOT YOU!"

Once my mother realized I was for real, and that I would pull her grand kids from her life in a second she quit with the God stuff...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:49 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I have a picture that you can show her!!! I should post it!!!

I am a totally sold out Christian and we went to D-world two weeks ago. We walk into the Magic Kingdom and we look up and in the sky we see a happy face (you know when the planes write inthe sky) We look up again and it says Jesus, when the guy finished it said Jesus loves you. Right over the Magic Kingdom. My dd thinks it is because Mickey mouse is a Christian LOL. I am posting it on my page for you.

You can show her that the name of Jesus is glorified and lifted high at Disneyworld.

:)
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:00 PM on May. 26, 2009