My children (3 and 9) don't color in coloring books, or even scribble on paper. Normal?

My 9 year old (4th grade) is very art challenged, but otherwise does well in school. She's never been interested in coloring. I've purchased some coloring books throughout her lifetime, but has never colored in them. (My 3 year old is not showing an interest either). The problem with my daughter is, when she does color a picture she drew, it's so sloppy. Nothing is ever colored in all the way, nor is the page completely done.
Are there other children out there who don't care for coloring? I guess she's more interested in the content of the "book" she's making rather than the artsy cover or details inside. But, this can be a problem especially in school- she often gets graded on her art skills in school (at least they still have art). Her work looks like a 1st grader. I've never seen anything so awful, and I've worked with lots of children before.

mybabies

Asked by mybabies at 10:13 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• YES!! My 4 kids are NOT colorers. They hate it. I think its like they see this daunting task of this blank page and knowing they need to color all of it and I think its boring to them. I have bought numerous books and crayons over the years and they have NEVER finished a coloring project. They just simply do not enjoy it. My oldest is now 14 and she does like to draw and art projects in general, but as a child, she would not color. I don't make them and I dont worry about it. Its just not for every kid. I don't think they will be graded on coloring in school. By the time they get to Kindergartern, the coloring projects are few and far between. My 3rd child just finished 1st grade and he only had a few coloring things. When he made projects for me, but nothing that was graded.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:23 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My 5 year old hates to color. SO I dont make her, shes just not gonna be into the arts. Shes more music, or playing with dishes etc. I wouldnt worry,,, its fine. Alot of kids dont like to color!! Personally I dont blame my daughter its quite boring. Now at school she will if asked but, not for fun.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 10:29 AM on May. 26, 2009

• My son would not color...he is 13 and will now draw if it is something he choses to draw. The teachers always laughed about him makeing one colored line across the paper and calling it colored.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:29 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Not everyone is artistically challenged and shouldn't be pushed to be. I don't think it is fair to grade someone in art, it is to subjective. My son is a sloppy colorer but he is awesome at drawing. I asked his art teacher how she can grade an art project and she said that she is not grading on appearance but on technique and effort. I wouldn't really be too concerened if your kids don't like to color, not everyone does.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:15 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Do they hate everything artistic or just coloring in coloring books with crayons? I know a lot of kids get frustrated with staying in the lines or filling in all of those little details. Coloring books are really limited. Unless you want to make the sky green or someones hair purple there isn't much "creativity" involved. Try clay, or paints. Go to art museums and show this that art doesn't have to "look like" anything. Point out all the good things about what they do make and don't mention anything negative. "what pretty colors, I love the swirling lines, those are some really cool shapes." It doesn't really matter if they grow up to be artists or not, their art work may never get up to the level of other kids, but who's to say they won't be talented athletes, writers, or doctors? 

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 10:16 PM on May. 26, 2009