I'm looking on line for parenting advice and training for my cousin who has a 4 yr old and 7 yr old. What formats of parenting help have been the most effective for you; e-books, videos, e-courses, interactive email, personal help,etc.? And what results did you want or get from them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• Any book by T. Berry Brazelton or Penelope Leach will be wonderful; you can certainly find them at your local library. Dr.. Brazelton also has a website: www.touchpoints.org.
    I have found a lot of great information in Mothering Magazine; you can read through the archives at www.mothering.com

Answer by rkoloms at 10:24 AM on May. 26, 2009

• The only books Ive ever read that really helped were anything by John Rosemond. Hes awesome and so practical. Other than that, I havent really searched for parenting advice unless it was from my dad. Hes a pastor and I have found that he has answers for anything Ive ever needed. OTher than that....its a trial and error process.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:27 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I like parenting with love and logic. Can't say I use it all the time but it is an interesting approach. I think so many parents yell and yell but don't really follow through and let kids see how their choices lead to consequences. My brother says to his kids, "My job is to make sure you are taught, fed, clothed...(long list) you can be happy while I do those things, but my job is not to make sure you are happy all the time." I think parents forget that. YOu have to set clear boundaries and be the parent whether they like it or not. It good to have fun with your kids, but sooner or later you have to quit wrestling in the floor with them and be their leader and teacher.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2009

• No books, videos or other trendy parenting advice here. I have raised all my children with love, rules and consitancy. We used time outs when they were small mixed with logical consequences. Corporal punishment was used maybe twice in our home when our twins ran into the street in front of a car. They were both spanked. They never did that again. My children are such individuals we had to create our own parenting style just for them. Books are fine if you have a cookie cutter kid. We don't. I would use common sense and be consistant with whatever you decide to do. My kids are in high school and college. All are gifted and at the top of their class. They all put school and family first. What we did worked for them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on May. 26, 2009

• excellent answer anon 10:48. I love it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:01 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I stubbornly ressisted trying parenting programs for years because I believed I should be able to basically do the same things my parents had done with me (pretty much what Anon :48 mentioned). My daughter is a very different kid than I was, and the things that worked for my parents did not work with her. I finally swallowed my pride and decided to give something else a try. My daughter's school counselor mentioned Love & Logic. We learned the school district was offering a free 6 week class, so we signed up for it. We don't follow L&L 100%, but we are adapting the techniques to our home. We gave it a chance because we needed a new plan for our 12 yo w/ ADHD. We found that the program made a lot of sense. The L&L program has not magically solved all problems, but our home is a much happier place. Improvement was very quick with our toddlers, and we can see progress with the 12 yo.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:49 PM on May. 26, 2009