moms of autistic children please help advice needed

my son just got suspended for the 2nd time becasue of behaviors that he is having at school is there anything i can do i feel like either putting my hand into a brick wall or goign toff on his teacher and principal.
thank you for any suggestions.. angel
PLEASE NO BASHING IF U BASH I WILL REPORT YOU TO CAFEMOM!!!!

zabees_angel

Asked by zabees_angel at 10:20 AM on May. 26, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You didn't give enough information. Can you tell us why he is suspended and what kind of advice you seek?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 26, 2009

• he was suspended becasue they claim that he attacked the room para for no reason. is there anything i can do this is the 2nd time he has been suspended for this and they have to write notes about what happened and the last time he was suspended everything in that letter screamed that he was provoked
    zabees_angel

Answer by zabees_angel at 10:38 AM on May. 26, 2009

• The first thing to remember is that ALL BEHAVIOR IS COMMUNICATION. He is trying to tell you that something in his environment is hurting his senses, it could be fluorescent lights, the perfume the para is wearing, or even just the tone of her voice. The BIGGEST thing to remember when trying to determine what is causing a behavior is sensory input. EVERY autistic child has disordered senses, and something in his environment is too bright, or too smelly, or too loud, or physically uncomfortable for him. You will have to do some detective work, along with the classroom teachers, to determine what it is that he is protesting against. DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT HE ATTACKED FOR NO REASON. It may not be an appropriate response, but he is responding to something unpleasant for him in the only way he knows how. Take a look at "Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew" by Ellen Notbohm. It's probably sensory!
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 10:44 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Sometimes kids behaviors and made worse by the foods that they eat. If you have not already, I strongly urge you to implement the Feingold diet at your house: www.feingold.org

Answer by rkoloms at 1:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree with Jodie118, anything could set him off! With my DS, they got a new aide in the class, he had a very difficult time dealing. And although he couldn't say that is what was wrong, we had to figure out what was new/different! Does he have an IEP/504? Is he is a SP ED class?
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• rkoloms...butt out. You obviously don't know anything about it or you would have actually tried to provide an answer and some good advice to her about her situation. It's AUTISM not a freakin' food problem.
    Anonymous

• Don't rely on the notes. YOU go in and interview everyone. I agree that it could have been even the slightest little change in his routine that set him off.

Without knowing your entire situation, it's difficult. I can only offer that my cousin who is autistic is also bipolar. He wasn't diagnosed completely until he was 8 years and he was VERY violent at times...at home and at school. I'm not saying that's it!!! But have the considered there might be more to his problem than only Autism?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:44 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son is ADHD and Austistic. He often acts out in very inappropriate ways. He has extreme reactions to things. When he is corrected, he will either lash out at the person verbally or physically or he will be overcome with remorse and cry uncontrollably. I know it is infuriating and it leaves you at a loss for what do. The more information you can get from the teacher about what happened and what led to his behavior, the more you have to work with. For example you can talk to the teacher about correcting him quietly and coming to him personally rather than talking at him across the room. One thing we started last year was to ask my son whether he was making a good choice or when he begins to tantrum, we ask are you proud of yourself right now. I know it is frustrating. I often feel at loss to deal with school incidents after the fact. Good luck.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 12:35 AM on May. 27, 2009

• Don't come down hard on rkoloms. She is pointing out that food intolerance can cause behavior problems. With my daughter, if she had an outburst I wanted to know what she had to eat. I did not do the Feingold diet but the gfcf diet with no eggs, yeast,nuts, and artificial colors/dyes. She was on enzymes for years to tolerate these food again. Now she is back on a mostly normal diet with no enzymes. My daughter had severe behavior problems with moderate autism at 4. Now at 7 she is barely on the spectrum and has learned a lot of behavioral control. She has no sensory issues anymore, except the vaccum. She is mainstreamed with a behavior plan and resource support. Her learning of cause and effect has been very slow and I have had to be very consistent. At this point she mainly has difficulty focusing and most behavior comes from anxiety. Her teacher has learned to help her through new learning to avoid behaviors.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 8:20 PM on May. 30, 2009