How do you get your child to hold liquids better

Is there anything we can do to make them be able to hold their drinks longer? It seems like my daughter has to pee mins after drinking an 80z juice. I no they will get bladder control but shes speech delayed n doesnt always tell us...anything we can do to help her out

MamaOf3Girls09

Asked by MamaOf3Girls09 at 10:26 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I am not sure if this works, but when my daughter was about 8, I took her in because she was still wetting the bed and we wanted information on medication. They did a urinalysis and she was fine, but he did diagnose her with having an overactive bladder. He said she was a small person and her bladder just wouldnt hold like other. It is a maturity issue too, but he told me that when she says she has to go, make her hold it another 10 min if she can. Then let her go. Then try to work up to 20 min and so on. He said that by having her hold it as long as possible, it will stretch her bladder and also help her with nighttime bladder training. She finally outgrew the whole thing, but it did take awhile. It just seemed that when she said she had to go, she was already at a point where she couldnt hold it anymore. I also didnt want her getting a UTI either. Thats the only suggestion I was given. Now my 7 yr old wets too...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I so read this question wrong on the little short cut thing at the bottom...I thought it said "how do you get your chld to hold liquor better?" ...I guess I need mroe sleep. but juice goes through everyone faster. I don't know why. try giving her water instead or milk. that might work better.
    saralouise

Answer by saralouise at 10:56 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I know if my DD has alot of juice(more then 1 carpisun) a day then she will start having acciedents. Dont know why but it happens try give water or milk. I do give 1/3 juice to 2/3 water when it is hot. You could try giveing smaller amounts of a drink at a time.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Stick with water; it is the healthiest drink.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:28 PM on May. 26, 2009

• she loves to drink half pints on deer park water so im lucky there i no sum kids i use to work with at a daycare refused water..
    MamaOf3Girls09

Answer by MamaOf3Girls09 at 9:05 PM on May. 26, 2009