What are the essential beach/swim supplies for toddler's beach vacation?

We're going to take my 18mo to a jersey shore beach vacation and I'm thinking of getting a beach tent, floatation stuff, swim shoes/socks?, etc. Are the things from onestepahead.com good, or should I be shopping some place else? Should I get a floatation vest or the floaties that go on the arms? Is a beach tent really useful or just a marketing gimic? I'm thinking of getting swim socks - should i get swim shoes instead? Anything else I should get? Any good beach toys, other than plastic buckets and shovels?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• sunscreen.. LOL i know you thought of it just saying..lol

wipes, cause that sand will be everywhere, change of clothes, lil swimmers, underwater goggles(just cause they are cute), big blanket, some kinda shade, aloe for after
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:41 AM on May. 26, 2009

• those soft water balls, bubbles
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:42 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I personally love One Step Ahead. They have great and lasting products. My sister bought their tent for the beach years and years ago, four kids later, it was handed down to me and we have used it several times, still works great and is a fantastic thing to have at the beach. I love their little SPF Swim Suits and Swim shoes are great, but I haven't tried the socks yet. Have fun at the beach though!
    MrsManners

Answer by MrsManners at 11:51 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I think a tent is a good idea as long as it can be anchored down. Gives protection from the sun and a place to rest. I'd go with a flotation vest or lifejacket for the ocean, just in case. Get a jacket style that will be comfortable. I'd go with water shoes to protect his feet. I've bought most of these things from One Step Ahead and have been very happy.

I'd also get a light weight, long sleeved hooded sweatshirt. It's great for putting on after swimming to warm up and protects from the sun without overheating. I got one last summer from Old Navy (web site) that was perfect. Not too heaving but I'd put in on him after changing him out of his swim diaper.

If you plan on spening a lot of time on the beach, also get him a long sleeve shirt to wear in the water (often called rash guards).

have fun!
    Anonymous