When do dogs feel like they are too old? What are the signs?

I have a goldern retriever she is 7 years old in human yrs. She is starting to show her age poor baby, what can I do to make her happy.

Not to mention I bathe her and by two days later she smells like spoiled milk..

What is up with that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Pets

• honestly, I don't think 7 is OLD for your dog. Perhaps you should call the vet about the smell, she may have an infection. I don't think she should need a bath every 2 days or smell that bad on a regular bases.
    As far as old age signs. I have a 13 (in ppl years) year old black lab. She walks slower, takes a while to lay down, as if she has soar hips, plays for mucher shorter time periods (5 min.) her eyes have a grey haze to them (dr. says this is all normal). She seems to be more slow to move on rainy days or very cold winter days. She still seems happy, wags her tail, kissed on me, always wants to shake paws with me and carry her favorite toy from room to room. So, only when those change will I consider her uncomfortably old.
    GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• yeah, i agree on seeing the vet about the skin issue- that is NOT normal at all. she could be acting like she's "old" because of a problem- dogs can't talk so behavioral symptoms are the most common ones to look for when something's wrong. she might also benefit from a supplement like glucosamine/chondroitin to help with the "old ageness"- just ask your vet if it would be a good idea to start that. i have a Siberian husky that is 12 years old (lives with my parents, family dog) and she still acts like a pup sometimes!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:56 AM on May. 26, 2009

• i had a golden for 13 yrs.i find they show there age real early.ya take the dog to the vet .as for how do you know when its time...like my vet said when my dog got sick they will let you know.and he did ...but your dog is to young.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 1:34 PM on May. 27, 2009