A few questions...

I'm returning to work, and I'm wondering how many onces of pumped breastmilk to put in each bottle for my six week old daughter. I'm having a little trouble pumping, and the daycare she's going to be at has to throw any excess away, and I don't want it wasted. I just need a rough estimate, because once she's been there a week or so, I'll ask them how much she's eating.

Another question is when she'll start sleeping through the night, and really, when I'm allowed to allow her to sleep. A few times when she was really young, she slept a full five hours (I was too tired to wake up and she didn't even cry). She still sleeps really well, and probably wouldn't have a problem going anywhere from 5-6 hours at night without eating. But the doctor said to not let her go more than four hours without eating... just wondering at what age that changes.

Thanks in advance for any answers :)

xxPaulaxx

Asked by xxPaulaxx at 10:44 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would make 3-4 oz bottles, depending on what she takes now. Most breastfed babies only want to take about 4 oz at any time anyway, no matter what age they are. My son started taking 4 oz at about 2 months and took that amont until he was 9 months. Lately he's been wanting a bit more... so he gets 5-6 oz at a time.
    When my son started daycare at 12 weeks I sent 16 oz of milk and he would usually only take 10-12 oz.... but there were rare times he would take all 16. (also sent a couple formula singles along for an emergency... I didn't want him to go hungry... and he in 7 months has only ran out of milk I think 3 times)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2009

• 4 oz is TOO MUCH. They should be feeding her every 2 hours and she should get 2 oz. I would ONLY make 2oz bottles. Make sure they're doing paced feeding! DCP tend to overfeed breastfed babies. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

She only needs 1oz per hours that your separated. If you nurse before you leave and right when you get there that will cut down on the amount you have to leave.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:16 PM on May. 26, 2009