How do you train an VERY hyper dog???

My DH and I just took in a chihuahua from a friend who lost her job. The dog is a year old and hasn't been trained at all. My friend's excuse was that the dog (a boy) was too hyper to train. He would not sit still and she couldn't do anything with him. I think that any dog can be trained. But this dog... wow. All he does is jump and jump and run and run. I am at a loss as to how to train him. Professional training is impossible as we just bet by and do not have the money for a professional. He is outside during the day because he has accidents in the house. When I bring him in I let him lose and he runs through the house like there's no tomorrow. I can't get him to sit still. He is kenneled at night. But any ideas on how to make this dog a little less hyper so I can train him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Pets

• Get a lightweight (woven maybe) leash and put it on him and loop the other end in your pants belt loop so he is literally tied to you. This is called "Wearing The Dog", and it will take 2 or 3 weeks of this all day long, every day for him to get the idea that unless he is in his crate he has to go everywhere with you and he doesn't get anything unless you give it to him. This makes YOU the master. Be sure to take him outside every 1/2 hour at first so he doesn't piddle in the house. When he "goes" outside tell him what a good boy he is and make a big deal over him and give him a treat. You can let him off leash for a few minutes to play chase or something once or twice a day, but make sure you stay with him the whole time or he will just learn to run away from you so you can't "Wear" him again.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:07 PM on May. 26, 2009

• nuter him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 26, 2009

• what kind of training method are you doing? some dogs do well with treat training, others do well with clicker training, etc. if the dog is outside all day long, he's not getting enough training time in. if he's this bad, you NEED to be on top of the training ALL THE TIME. get a crate, too, so that when he's overwhelming for you, you can put him up- this will also help with the potty training. it sounds like you have a tough job ahead of you, but you HAVE to be on top of things all the time if you want him to get anywhere without professional help. i would recommend getting a few books from the library or something on training- look for the dog whisperer guy's books- i've heard he's good (i don't have cable, so i don't know). good luck! stay focused on it and your dog will be a great pet!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 11:51 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Thanks for the idea of "wearing the dog." I'll have to try that, it may be tough... I have 4 kids too, all at home. lol He's already been neutered. I have quite a few training books and clicker and treats haven't helped. I will try hooking the leash to me but I hope I don't trip over him or he trips me. lol He is always underfoot when he's inside and there's been quite a few times I've fallen over him.
    Anonymous

• I have a mini pinscher and I know that for my hyper little guy before I attempt to do any training, I have to make sure to get him some good exercise in so that he is able to focus more. It really seems to help mine a lot.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 3:23 PM on May. 26, 2009