My baby won't sleep...he won't nap for long in the day and doesn't want to sleep at night, please help!!!

My son, Cyrus, is 11 months old. Since he was a newborn, we noticed that he was a very poor sleeper. He naps very little during the day and is up every 3 hours at night. For the most part, he wakes at night just for a bottle and doesn't really care too much about being held or rocked back to sleep. I add a tablespoon of rice cereal to every ounce of fluid in his bottle so I know he's getting enough to eat. During the day I feed him three solid meals, also adding rice cereal to each meal.

I am also 7 months pregnant so this whole sleep issue is really taking its toll on me at this point, can anyone give me any insight on why my son just will not sleep????

myakita3

Asked by myakita3 at 10:59 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you put him down for naps at the same time everyday? Do you have a predictable bedtime routine, and do you put him to bed at the same time every night? That's where I would begin.

At his age, 1-2 naps are typical. Let's say you put him down at 10am and 2pm.

At around 7pm, give him a bath, get him dressed for bed, then give him some quiet play time in his room.

Give him a bedtime bottle (or snack), and that should hold him over until the next morning. He's waking in the middle of the night for a feeding because he's either hunger or it's just a habit.

Let's say you put him to bed by 8pm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on May. 26, 2009

• make sure you're laying him down when he shows tired cues! and are you doing a bedtime routine before laying him dow, such as: bath, story/song then bed?
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:11 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I have him on a pretty solid routine, or at least I try. He naps at the same time everyday, just after he has breakfast and a bottle. I let him play for a bit then off for his nap he goes. This is the tricky part. Some days he'll nap for 30 mins, other days I may get lucky at get an hour out of him. He naps again once I've fed him his afternoon meal and bottle, but this nap is usually only about 30 mins. During the day he's the happiest most content baby, doesn't ever show signs of being tired or sleep deprived. In the evening we have bath time at about 8:00pm. After bath time we have some quiet time, a 5 ounce bottle with 5 tablespoons of rice cereal and off to bed he goes. He, without a doubt wakes up at around 12:45am for another 5 ounces of formula. His next waking is about 3 hours from then and this continues pretty much the whole night.
    myakita3

Answer by myakita3 at 11:14 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I agree that you should set up a routine and as hard as he might fight you on it, stick to it! My daughter has a pretty flexible routine since she wakes up at different time every morning, but her naptime and bedtime only vary between a half hour either way depending on her feeding schedule for the day. But, she's a much happier baby on those days than on the occasional day when we go out and she misses naptime. She'll still sleep but its not a good as the days she can sleep in her crib.

Try giving him a sippy cup of water, or even try smaller bottles if he persists on having one.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:51 AM on May. 26, 2009

• my son was the SAME WAy.. I swear he hated sleep. he formed the HABIT waking - he would still eayt what I offered him in a bottle but he didn't really need it - he just didn't know how to put himself back to sleep - he had severe colic so he never learned to self sooth but this can also be formed by habit - he NEEDS to learn to self sooth himself back to bed. i ended up having to use the cio method but there's a book healthy sleep habits, happy child that has TONS of methods that can be used.. but its critical for them to grow emotionally and developmentally that they get the right amount of uninterrupted sleep.!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:38 PM on May. 26, 2009