I WANT THE OPINION OF EVERY MOMMY OUT THERE

my son is 5 months old and we will be starting him on solids in the near future... what are good foods for babies to eat and what do i need to avoid? also i am growing vegies and fruits and would like to know what to feed my lil man

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 11:18 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• check out this website: www.wholesomebabyfood.com ! good starter foods are bananas, avacado and sweet potato. the banana and avacado you can simply mash up and serve when they are ripe. and make sure you make it a liquidy consistancy with breastmilk, formula or water. sweet potatoes you can steam, puree and serve. for beginner eaters, you only need to serve about a tablespoon worth of solids and once a day. single foods only! when your baby tries a food, dont offer another one for a few days, to test for food allergy. once that one food is in the clear you can start mixing them. keep record! solids before 1 is only for practice, so dont replace a bottle/nursing session with solids!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:22 AM on May. 26, 2009

• can also google baby eating solids.....something like that. and different sites pop up. Some have charts of what they can start between 4-6, 6-8. 8-10, 10-12. You can even print them out.
    Everybaby is different....my little guy can't handle bananas. Spits up constantly when he eats them. Weird. Apples are great.
    If you plan on making your own food.... weelicious.com is also a good site
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:26 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I started mine with baby rice. I added another food every 2-3 weeks, but I was sort of cautious and didn't want to cause allergies, and if they were allergic, I wanted to know WHICH food it was. Luckily they didn't have any allergies, but I was careful because some of my cousins had some.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:42 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I started with rice cereal for a couple of weeks before I started fruits and vegs, but lots of mommies skip straight to the fruits and vegs. My pedi told me with baby food to stay in the "yellow" group for awhile, peaches, apples, bananas, squash, sweet potatoes, and carrots.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• All of these answers are great. I have been doing solids for about 4 months now. I also started with rice and oatmeal (gerber) and after she got the hang of eating off a spoon I started with the gerber #2 foods. Sweet potato is a good start since most kids like them. After some veggies were favorites I gave her some fruit. I started to just mash a lot of her foods with water or formula. It's good to get them liking veggies before you give sweet tastes like fruits. Remember when using fresh veggies and fruit, unless you are growing them and not using pesticides, it's good to stick with thick skin stuff like PP said, bananas, avocados, melons. Thin skin, store bought are more likely to have left over traces of chemicals from mass produced crops unless you buy organic. And even then, be cautious of some of the thin skin stuff. Every baby is different. One said bananas were great but not so much for apples. My LO is exact opposite
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 12:25 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I heard and did start with veggies first so, because the sweets DO taste better, they might not take the veggies later. that worked for my son, and what he didn't like, I would mix some cereal (or applesauce in there for taste later on around 9 months. ) to help give it better taste.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• For some reason my little girl is not all that into sweets, lol. She absolutely LOVES peas and squash! She will eat the whole jar of those. She also likes apples, bananas, pears, and carrots, but I have to mix those with cereal sometimes to get her to eat it all.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:29 PM on May. 26, 2009

• depends on the age but they recommend feeding your babies vegetables more than fruits since they have a natural sweet tooth already. peas are good finger foods when they get old, as well as green beans, carrots that are cooked so they are softened. My son loves sweet potatoes though, I know they are sweet, but they are a treat for him every once in awhile. they recommend feeding your baby the rainbow of foods go to gerber.com and look up solid foods and the age of your baby and they will have a chart of what your baby should eat.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:13 PM on May. 26, 2009