What do you think of one of the Republicans proposals for health care, The Patients' Choice Act?

http://www.house.gov/ryan/PCA/

What specifically do you like or dislike? Do you think Democrats on the Hill will even consider or debate this piece of legislation?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:21 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not sure sounds similar to what Obama wants to do. I crunched the numbers and for us it would hit our pocket book. We pay 8k for our insurance out of pocket the 5700 tax credit would not help us and would hurt us because we would lose our tax benifit that keeps us from being taxed at the next tax bracket. I don't consider us rich but I guess the Repubs do. Both parties are too much alike anymore so pathetic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 26, 2009

• We pay $750 a yr plus Deductable of 2300 so that works for us with money left over for eye care for 4 people.
    I agree with the idea for the most part in making it the responsibility of the person instead of Government. As long as attention is placed on medicare, medicaid, education and new efficiency methods.

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:41 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Good topic OP!

I'm not sure if I can get behind this, though. I believe it has very good ideas for healthcare reform and broadening insurance coverage for people who can not recieve it through their employer. However, I do worry about leaving the state's govt in charge of how the implementation of the plan will proceed. There are enough loopholes in that aspect that many people with chronic conditions could fall through the cracks if their state makes a mistake or bad decision. I do like that people will have more privatized options and it seems like they can have a better shot at finding quality treatment based on a competative market, rather than being assigned to a specific practice based on insurance. I also think this could lead to better patient satisfaction and lower lawsuits for medical personnel. But, as I stated before, I think it needs more fine-tuning to be a valid, successful option.

ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:08 PM on May. 26, 2009

• However, I do worry about leaving the state's govt in charge of how the implementation of the plan will proceed

But wasn't this nation founded on giving states the control over matters such as these? I, personally think the LESS federal interference the better.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:47 PM on May. 26, 2009

• grlygrlz2

I see your point on this. However I admit to being in a struggle over State vs National Gvt control. On one hand, when the country was first joined and ruled with states having more control, the country was making grea progress at that time.

But, this also lead to many key points in our nation's history that, IMO, ended up benefitting the US, when we leaned toward more national control. The Civil War is a prime example, followed closely by repealing of laws such as "Seperate but Equal" and "Jim Crow Laws". These were instances of state's having a greater power in what happens within their borders, but failed to uphold the ideals that America stands for as a whole.

You can also see this in evidence today with state by state voting on issues such as gay marriage/unions. IMO this should be a national matter. If only b/c the rights granted in one state do not cross the state lines, unlike other laws.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Whichever way healthcare is reformed, there should be provision for universal coverage for those who cannot afford or get private coverage AND decisions about necessary treatment must be made by physicians in consultation with the patient and not by insurnace companies and governments at any level. And all administrative costs must be kept down to about 12% instead of the approx 25 % I believe they are now.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:48 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Thats called Medicaid and Chip. Both Government programs that are full of waste and fraud. The unfortunate fact is people do not sign up for these things. There will always be those left out not by necessity but by choice. You cannot make something better just by thowing more money at it. Our system doesn't need to be overhauled nor does it need to be run by our corrupt government. Fix what is broken, adjust what needs to be adjusted. Stop the fraud and educate people of their choices. I think giving people money to get their own is a good start but the system needs cleaning up.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Well, the numbers don't work here.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:16 AM on May. 27, 2009