Does anyone have either the IUD or Mirena, and how do you like it?

I just had a baby and Im currently on the ring but want to switch to the Iud or mirena if possibe, any suggestions?

lilmama31709

Asked by lilmama31709 at 11:21 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Relationships

• IM ON THE MIRENA AND IT IS WONDERFUL I DONT HAVE TO REMEMBER TO TAKE ANYTHING AND I DONT SEEM TO HAVE ANY SIDE AFFECTS AT ALL PLUS IT LASTS FOR 5 YEARS AND IT WAS AFFECTIVE IMMEDIETLY I WOULD DO AN IUD IF YOU WANT A LONGTERM EASY BIRTH CONTROL
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 11:24 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I also have the mirena but am getting it removed for a couple of reasons.
    1) It has caused a cyst the size of a baseball on my right ovary.
    2) I just found out it does not stop you from ovulating. Sperm can still reach an egg and fertilize it but the IUD makes your body abort the fertilized egg. The doctor never told me about that part of it and I am very upset about the whole thing. I have an appt in June to have it removed.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:26 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I have the mirena and yes it has minor issues. It lightens periods and shortens the length of days. You still will have cramps! Yes you can and will ovulate but the mirena and iud block the uterus so pregnancy does not occur. The t shape of it is supposed to redirect released eggs to expel but fertilization can and does occur however due to the uterus being blocked it can't and won't implant. Depending on your views and your thoughts it could be considered as an abortion, its a birth control method(nothing more!). The worst possible thing about it is you could end up having a tubal pregnancy but is minimal unless you have had one before. Weigh the pro's and con's and discuss it with your ob, and go from there. Its your body and you need to do what is best and safest for you to prevent an unwanted pregnancy!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:37 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I have the Paragard IUD and love it. Been in 12 months and no problems so far.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• i LOVE mirena. No complains AT ALL!!!! No worrying either!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have the 10-year IUD and to honest I have the worst cramps and sometimes my periods are heavy but I like it. I must admit I was a little shocked to read some of the post, I didn't know that if the sperm actually does implant than you are essentially having an abortion. I agree with the statement made above, it is a form of birth control and it may not be for everyone depending on your views. I personally can't do pill cause I miss to much and I was afriad of anything that produced too many hormones for the risk of gaining weight. Hope this helped.
    mommy2_twins

Answer by mommy2_twins at 2:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I had the copper IUD and I liked it. It took many months for my body to adjust (spotting) but after it adjusted, I was fine. My periods were light and I rarely cramped. I liked it because I didn't have to do anything and there were no hormones involved. There are risks, so it's best to read read read and discuss it thoroughly with your doctor.
    I had it removed two months ago because we're going to start TTC.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 4:55 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I have had Mirena for almost 2 years and I love it. I have no side effects what-so-ever. My periods last anywhere from 2-5 days && they are so light sometimes all I need is a pantyliner. I have very minimal cramping && almost no PMS anymore. I spotted for the 1st 6-8 months && then my periods regulated out. I love not having to worry about remembering to take something everyday. Some people do have side effects, everyone reacts differently, but I haven't had any so far. So I highly recommend it. They have a website www.mirena-us.com if you want to do your own research.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:48 PM on May. 27, 2009

• plus mirena works different than regular birth control, so if you smoke you don't have the risks of clotting or anything else that you would with birth control
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 9:50 PM on May. 27, 2009