Am I the only one who doesn't read to my kid?

My DS is one I hardly ever read to him. I hate reading out loud. It makes me yawn which makes it even harder to do. Am I giving him a future disadvantage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• I've read out loud to my son since before he was born. But I love to read. I've heard it's supposed to help with development though. Really, it's your call.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:31 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I do every once in awhile, my daughter won't sit down long enough to finish a book,so I don't try unless she brings me a book
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 11:32 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I think i is great to read to kids because they have to get a mental imagine and usr their imagination where on the tv the story is shown to them. They may learn to love books if you read to them and get used to going to the library. It is very good to read to your kids so even though it may not be exciting ot you, I would start doing it some. I read one small book or one chapter to my dd before bed. Then we cuddle for 2 songs then I go out of her room.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I read to my son everyday, It builds speech and reading cognitive development, I've been reading to him since he was about 5 months old, Even if I didn't like reading myself , I would still do it, Because it's for my child that I do it, not for myself. When a child loves to read, you give him a very important tool in life that lasts a lifetime.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 11:38 AM on May. 26, 2009

• Nope, I don't read to my kids either. I'm just to busy! My DH reads to them every day.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I read to my oldest son all the time. My youngest isn't into it that much but I am working on it!
    I love reading to my son b/c it's cute to see what questions he will ask and how his mind works!!! I think reading is very important!
    BSFreeMama

Answer by BSFreeMama at 11:57 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I read to all my children before they were born and even after they learned to read on their own. I just love the feeling of cuddling up with them and reading to them.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 12:01 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I read to all 5 of my kids, I think it is very important. Why does it make you yawn?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:02 PM on May. 26, 2009

• salexander- I don't why it makes me yawn, I just start yawning whenever I read out loud or if I sing. It's really annoying bc in the middle of a story I have to stop and yawn and then catch my breath. It's makes it hard to read a story.
    Anonymous

• I read to my son each and every day...he is 2 years old and I have read to him since he was an infant and I think that is why he loves books so much. My mom always read to me (from as young an age as I can remember) and I thank her greatly for that because I could read before I was in Kindergarten, and now as an adult I enjoy books so much. I hope that with mine and my husbands encouragement my son will continue to enjoy books as much as we do. I think books encourage imagination much more than television does. That is just my opinion though.

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 12:18 PM on May. 26, 2009