I want to paint our dresser white

I don't think it's real wood.. It's like particle board maybe, but it feels and looks sort of like wood. I am buying two white night stands, but refuse to spend the money on a new dresser when ours is in perfect shape, but I want to paint it white because we are staging to sell and it would just look nicer if our furniture in our room was all white and matching. Any ides on how I would go about doing this? What type of paint/primer should I use?

BillmanWife

Asked by BillmanWife at 11:32 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Fo to lowes or home depot and ask...just pull out a drawer and take it in with you. buying hardware that matches for all the furniture will pull it together also.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:40 AM on May. 26, 2009

• you may need to buy a white primer first. then go over it with white paint.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• use a primer like Kilz in a water base then buy an enamel for your dresser not just regular latex paint. you can also buy an acrylic if it is of good quality.
    i would go with kilz water based primer, then an oil based enamel in a high gloss.
    i just redid an old bed for my daughter the same way in a coffee color with her pink and brown sheets in her room it turned out really nice. so far no scratches or paint chipping. good luck.
    jewjewbees

Answer by jewjewbees at 12:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I painted a water-damaged bookcase purple once. Use Killz as your primer, then use your regular white paint over it. Wouldn't hurt to sand the surface a little first, to rough the veneer up for the primer. If it's not real wood, that finish may be a plastic veneer of some sort, and you might be able to work a bit loose and peel it all off. You should still prep it, but in the end, your new finish will be better and you won't have to worry about the paint "walking" off.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:17 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Sand the surface first to rough it up to help the paint stick, then use a good primer (Kilz is good, but make sure you get the right kind for the type of paint you are finishing with, either oil or latex), then paint your final color. To make sure the paint stays looking good, lightly sand with a really fine grit sandpaper between coats of paint, making sure you dust it off really well before putting on the next coat.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:32 PM on May. 26, 2009