What is the deal with the DNA tests and babies 1994??

So, I was told by someone that the government has been collecting the dna from babies since 1994. I know for a FACT that this DNA collection is NOT taking place in all hospitals.

I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on this. The person that told me this is adament that it is happening and that EVERY BABY born since 94 has had its dna taken.

Is this true-where can I find more info-thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It only happens in certain states. Texas is one. They have just recently signed a bill saying even though they can still take the DNA the parent can opt out of them keeping it at any time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:00 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Do you have a link with info or the states that do this? Or even an 'offical name' of this?
    Anonymous

• i haven't heard of this, and I'd like to have a temper tantrum if it's happening in PA. More info, please?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:04 PM on May. 26, 2009

• WHY on Earth would they do that?? What would they do with it, and where would they store it? That's a LOT of DNA to keep track of. They gonna start cloning us? LOL.....
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:05 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think the plan is to have a DNA data base

http://www.nationalchildrensstudy.gov/Pages/default.aspx
    Anonymous

• Um, if the hospital did a PKU test, they already have the DNA. Not something new.
    Anonymous

• Yes-but many hospitals DON'T keep this stuff. Some are.
    Anonymous

• not sure... but what would be the harm in studying someones DNA?? dr.'s are able to study it and find all kinds of things.... some like heredity diseases...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:10 PM on May. 26, 2009

• http://www.nationalchildrensstudy.gov/Pages/default.aspx

Thats good information-but that is not what I am talking about. This collection has supposedly been going on since the 90's. I was just wondering what states. Seems like I can't find cut and dry info on it.
    Anonymous

• Julianamommy-I guess I am just concerned on the purpose of taking it and if consent was given from parents before taking or if they take it without asking.

Anonymous