Sleep Problems with my 8 1/2 month old daughter

Okay-this is a long one. My daughter started sleeping through the night at 8 weeks. She slept through the night so consistently that when she woke up crying I knew she was sick and she ended up having a double ear infection 2 months ago. Ever since then she will not fall asleep on her own and she wakes during the night between 1 am and 3 am. Some nights she'll sleep in her crib and some nights she'll sleep with us which I am trying to get out of. I started the "Cry It Out" method 2 nights ago. The first night she cried for 10 minutes, went to sleep and then woke at 4:00 am and at that time I put her in bed with me. Last night she fell asleep drinking a bottle at 8:00. I put her in bed and she woke up at 8:30. I let her cry from 8:30 until she finally fell asleep at 9:30. She woke up during the night at 1 am and I put her in bed with us. What can I do to help her stay asleep in HER bed? Anyone else in my shoes now?

Momuvtwinz

Asked by Momuvtwinz at 11:52 AM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am right there with you. My daughter started sleeping through the night since she was 3 weeks. Now she is 18 months old and at 14 months she got the flu. and since then she has wanted to sleep on me on the couch. She still goes to sleep on her own in her crib, but sometimes (not every night) wakes up at around 2am. I used to go in there and take her and get on the couch with her, but I ended up falling asleep so I stopped that. Then, I started going in her room, picking her up, rubbing her back, laying her back down and she would go back to sleep. Now for the past week, when I hear her cry, I just peek in her room so she can't see me, I make sure she is okay and not hurt, Then I go back to bed and wait for her to put herself back to sleep.

our girls have gotten spoiled to the comfort we were giving when they were sick. we just have to break the cycle or it will become a big bad habit. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:59 AM on May. 26, 2009

• I'm just as guilty as you. DS falls asleep in our arms, we put him in his crib, then between 6 and 8 hours later he is awake and needs a diaper change. That's when we change his diaper and just put him in bed with us.
    Kristen5476

Answer by Kristen5476 at 12:06 PM on May. 26, 2009

• well, I know as hard as it sounds, they love the comfort from you and now like that to put themselves back to sleep - the CIO method is what I had to do to get my son to sleep at all at 8 months old - you just have to pick a method and stick to it - bringing them in bed with you when you don't want them to be iosn't going to help
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:46 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I hate to say it but 8 months is too young for CIO, and especially to let them cry for a whole hour. CIO is only reccomended for children over the age of one. They are just babies and don't understand why the ones they love and trust are not comforting them. I would let her sleep with you when she wakes in the night. Beleive it or not, she will eventually sleep through the nigh. Just remember that sleeping through the night can still mean waking up often, or waking up early.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 1:23 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My daughter is 8 mos, and she still rarely sleeps through the night, infact she only has maybe two weeks the whole 8 mos. Sometimes I put her back in bed with me, but mostly she gets her bottle and I put her back in her crib and she goes back to sleep. So I know what your going thru I have to get up between 3-6 in the morning every morning with my daughter. But a baby could be waking up b/c they are teething, ears, hungry any of those reasons. Babies aren't guarenteed to sleep through the night at any certain age, I've learned every baby is different, just find what works for your baby.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 5:15 PM on May. 26, 2009