Why do I feel this way? I don't want to feel this way...

This is going to sound weird but for the past couple days Ive been feeling like my son has become a different person... hes only 10 months old! But it's making me sad to the point that I burst into tears whenever I feel rejected by him. I KNOW he's at that age where he's curious and active but Im taking it like he doesn't need/want me. He wont let me hold him unless he's hurt or tired and when I do try to pick him up he just fusses and pushes me away until I put him back down on the floor to play. If I try to play with him he crawls away from me. Hes also starting to get into everything and it's making me very frustrated and not at all helping how I feel towards him. I feel like Im holding a grudge against my baby and I hate feeling that way and hate admitting that I feel that way. I love him more than anything and I dont want to feel like this. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance for any other moms who ever felt this way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was crushed the first time my guy pushed me away. I remember holding him for long periods of times and then he didn't want that at all. I keep thinking how much he is growing up and it really makes me sad. I am happy that he is learning and growing, don't get me wrong, but i miss my baby.
    Anonymous

• My son's 9 and a half months and already does this. I just value my time with him when he wants to fall asleep, have a bottle, or be next to me. I want to foster his independence. It keeps goign with more things he learns (a cup, finger foods, pulling up). I wouldn't be able to handle a clingy baby.
    Kristen5476

Answer by Kristen5476 at 12:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Im sorry you feel this way. My DD hasnt hit this stage yet, but i know my youngest two sisters did this. It's their independent stage i think. They've learned to walk/crawl and are now curious. They know you, so you're not "new" to them like the rest of the world. It must be hard as a mom, but it will get better. Try introducing new things to him, games, toys and try to play with him with those. Maybe new things with get him to be more social with you again.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 12:03 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My 10 month old does this to me sometimes, you cannot take it personally. He is exerting his independence as pp said. It bothered me a bit at first but I would rather him push me away at times than be stuck to me like glue and cry when I put him down or leave the room for a moment. As long as he still reaches for u when he is upset, u know he loves and trusts you.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I can assure you its normal. you have to do some reminding to yourself when he does those things that he is learning and growing and will always need you, just in other ways. my son never was an independent baby, he was the clingy one but I have also found myself holding a grudge at certain times and that's what helps me - I just need to remind of the reality of the situation.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• If it makes you feel any better, I'm looking forward to when my daughter does this. She is super needy/clingy and it drives me insane. It actually makes me resent her sometimes that she is so needy! I know that sounds really bad, but I'm looking forward to the day when she becomes more independent like your son.
    Anonymous