How normal is it for toddler boy to be playing with himself?

Sigh..... =) I am not sure what to do with my son. I read it's normal for them to be discovering their genitals- and he hound them a while ago in the tub. But now, he is laying down on stuffed animals (etc...) and rubbing them. He does it at least once and hour ALL DAY, EVERYDAY! I've read that you are supposed to let them get over it on their own. But seriously, how normal is this? And should I try to stop him? I don't want him doing it in public or anything.... = \

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on May. 26, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son started doing that, I let it go at first. After a while he would only do it with his blanket. Thats when I realized he wasn't rubbing on his blanket for that reason, he was actually trying to mimick the rocking motion and go to sleep or soothe himself (I have always rocked him to sleep, still do). He still does it when hes tired or bored. If he's tired, I leave him alone. But if he's bored, I take his blanket or whatever away and distract him with something fun to do.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:13 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My SIL's Dr told her to just make sure her kids know that there is a time and a place. Like not in Walmart, but home in their room is ok.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:21 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My son does the same thing! He's 2. I just let him do it as long as it isn't in public! His stuffed animal takes a lot of abuse!
    Anonymous

• Tell him to do that in his room because that is the place for it. The bigger stink you make, the more he will do it. He should just stop on his own, it is very normal.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:30 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think it is totally normal. My son does it from time to time in the bath or at changing time. I just ignore it and he stops after a min or so.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on May. 28, 2009