How many colds a year?

We have had at least one cold a month this year...is this normal? My daughter is 14 mos and I stay home with her. I keep a clean house, wash hands, clean toys etc, eat healthy, we take vitamins...what else can I do to keep our family well?

rjacob2008

Asked by rjacob2008 at 12:05 PM on May. 26, 2009 in General Parenting

• We usually get them fall through early spring. There isn't much more you can do if you take your kids to the dr. you are bound to catch something. We use sanitizer but sometimes I'm just not fast enough. The older the child gets the less often they should get sick.
    sararsara

Answer by sararsara at 12:59 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Some kids are just prone to it. Until her immune systems builds up a bit more, it'll keep happening. Maybe consider washing hands and toys a bit less? Sometimes too clean means you can't fight the bad germs because the good germs are gone. It just depends on how much you clean and if it's all antibactrial type soaps.
    Anonymous

• sounds like she has a bad case of allergies. something is triggering her allergies every month apparently. I would take her to her pediatrician and have her tested for allergies. It could be the change in weather, pollen, blooms, dust, carpet dander, pet dander, etc. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:08 PM on May. 26, 2009

• I think it will lessen over time. My twins had more their first winter than they have during their second winter. They still have some allergy problems, but they are getting sick less and less.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:14 PM on May. 26, 2009

• Thanks everyone!!
    rjacob2008

Answer by rjacob2008 at 2:58 PM on May. 26, 2009

• This may sound crazy, but the more you get out in the germ pool and the more colds she has, the more iron her immune system becomes. It is when you don't venture out that the catch everything coming down the pike. Get out and about or she will spend her entire first year of school sick.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:54 PM on May. 26, 2009