how important is it for children to have God parents? and what is the God parent's role in the children's life?

Asked by kimsboys at 9:55 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• For us the Godparents are the ones who would encourage and foster our children's faith. They would not necessarily raise our kids if something happened to us but would be the ones to be sure they continue to be brought up in our faith tradition. We wanted to pick people that were close to us and held the same beliefs but we decided not to choose family because we felt they would already have a close relationship with family and wanted the Godparents to be additional influences in their lives.

Answer by rasbneon at 12:06 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• depends on what you actually believe in - we don't have God parents persay for our daughters, but we do have a family member that we trust and know that they would love them like their own... so that is basically what we decided to do... I don't think it has to have a lable on it when it comes to your childen being with someone you trust to raise them, it could be anyone and as long as whoever you pick to do that, wants to take that responsibility on if something should happen....

Answer by BreakingFree at 9:58 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Well in the olden days God parents were the ones you choose to raise your child if something happend to you. But modernly, the role of God parents is smaller. We choose people we knew would make sure our kids would make it to church and support them in the church through out their life.

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:16 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• In some cultures Godparents are still the ones that would raise the kids is something happens to you...that's why it isn't unusual for some families to give their children the same Godparents, and why some will say I choose so-and-so because if I die that's who I want to raise my kids.

When we asked my SIL about being a possible Godparent...she responded I would be happy to raise the child if something happened to you. We had to explain to her that being a Godparent doesn't mean that. Like mimomof3boys stated, it's someone that will help you raise the kids in faith, give the child support, and add in away possible like help take them to church etc.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:34 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• We have two sets for our son. He is a handful..we thought we needed a back up plan! LOL We believe that a God parents role is to be as a second (or third) set of parents. Giving advice, loving the child and nurturing their faith in God. We chose our parents carefully as I was taught that these are the people that would care for your child in case you were no longer able to. Of course that is a legal matter that you will need to set up. Our God parents are a wonderful blessing to our sons. We appreciate them and are so grateful for the influence that they bring to our family. good luck with your decision.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Godparent is over-rated.

Answer by DancerMomof2 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Godparents are another great influence on my children in their faith. They also make my children feel like they are special to them because they have their own Godparents. I think it is a great gift to my children.

Answer by grace2joy at 2:27 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• In the past, the God Parents were the people that would take over the raising of the children if the parents died. But that is not the case anymore, the God Parents really have no legal rights unless the families go through the courts to make it so. It is more symbolic now then anything and only certain religious sects do this. I have no God parents for my children and won't have any because we are not Christian. I have only seen my God Parents once, and then they moved out of the area and I haven't seen them since I was maybe 8 years old. they probably don't even remember they are my God Parents and if they showed up I'd no allegiance to them.

Answer by seakla at 12:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2008